Bonding Rain Garden Pond Rebar

Maravilla24

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Do rain garden ponds, which is on top of a parking garage, need to be bonded/grounded?

Any information will be gladly appreciated.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Whether decorative or for swimming, the NEC should have sections that tell you.

(Sorry, code book not handy now, but I think in chap 8.)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think either 680 or 682 would apply. No bonding requirement, assuming that it is not intended for people to be in the water.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Only if there is electrical equipment as part of the rain garden pool.
Avoid all the issues if you use a low voltage pump if you need one and avoid lighting in the water.

Even if no persons intended to use you can provide bonding to avoid electrocuting the frogs in the pond to keep PETA off your back.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't think either 680 or 682 would apply. No bonding requirement, assuming that it is not intended for people to be in the water.
I agree 682 does not apply.

Definitions found in 680.2.
Fountain. Fountains, ornamental pools, display pools, and
reflection pools. The definition does not include drinking
fountains.

Permanently Installed Decorative Fountains and Reflection Pools.
Those that are constructed in the ground, on the
ground, or in a building in such a manner that the fountain
cannot be readily disassembled for storage, whether or not
served by electrical circuits of any nature. These units are
primarily constructed for their aesthetic value and are not
intended for swimming or wading.

680.50 starts the requirements for fountains.

680.53 Bonding. All metal piping systems associated with the
fountain shall be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor
of the branch circuit supplying the fountain.

680.54 Grounding. The following equipment shall be grounded:
(1) Other than listed low-voltage luminaires not requiring
grounding, all electrical equipment located within the
fountain or within 1.5 m (5 ft) of the inside wall of the
fountain
(2) All electrical equipment associated with the recirculating
system of the fountain
(3) Panelboards that are not part of the service equipment
and that supply any electrical equipment associated with
the fountain
I see no requirements to bond anything else.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
So what exactly is a "rain garden pond"? Seems how it is viewed or purposed it could fit into either 680 or 682.

680.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article apply to the construction and installation of electrical wiring for, and equipment in or adjacent to, all swimming, wading, therapeutic, and decorative pools; fountains; hot tubs; spas; and hydromassage bathtubs, whether permanently installed or storable, and to metallic auxiliary equipment, such as pumps, filters, and similar equipment. The term body of water used throughout Part I applies to all bodies of water covered in this scope unless otherwise amended.

682.1 Scope.
This article applies to the installation of electrical wiring for, and equipment in and adjacent to, natural or artificially made bodies of water not covered by other articles in this Code, such as, but not limited to, aeration ponds, fish farm ponds, storm retention basins, treatment ponds, and irrigation (channels) facilities.

One source speaks of a rain garden pond:
This space, along with the home’s small green roof, was specially designed to absorb excess rainwater and protect local waterways.

If this is the purpose or designed application it would seem 682 would be a fitting application.
If simply a decorative design it would seem the more restrictive guidance of 680 would be fitting.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So what exactly is a "rain garden pond"? Seems how it is viewed or purposed it could fit into either 680 or 682.

680.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article apply to the construction and installation of electrical wiring for, and equipment in or adjacent to, all swimming, wading, therapeutic, and decorative pools; fountains; hot tubs; spas; and hydromassage bathtubs, whether permanently installed or storable, and to metallic auxiliary equipment, such as pumps, filters, and similar equipment. The term body of water used throughout Part I applies to all bodies of water covered in this scope unless otherwise amended.

682.1 Scope.
This article applies to the installation of electrical wiring for, and equipment in and adjacent to, natural or artificially made bodies of water not covered by other articles in this Code, such as, but not limited to, aeration ponds, fish farm ponds, storm retention basins, treatment ponds, and irrigation (channels) facilities.

One source speaks of a rain garden pond:
This space, along with the home’s small green roof, was specially designed to absorb excess rainwater and protect local waterways.

If this is the purpose or designed application it would seem 682 would be a fitting application.
If simply a decorative design it would seem the more restrictive guidance of 680 would be fitting.
I was not able to find a definition of pond in the code.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Does what the OP described meet that criteria?
Insufficient info provided by OP to make a solid call but was providing reply to post that indicated a definition not in NEC, and this doesn't necessarily mead there is none anywhere. Part of the call as to whether 680 or 682 might apply might hinge on which definition of what the installation is called and by whom.
Without seeing or more information being provided by OP the basic of descriptive wording provided "rain garden ponds" it seems it would fit within the definition found in the oxford dictionary, of a "Pond" and thus article 682. Also the presumption of the "purpose" of such a rooftop installation it to would seem to be a "pond" and not a pool or fountain of a 680 article installation.
Bottom line might be "what does the AHJ say it is".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suppose it could be some kind of retention facility up on the parking deck. If not, it is likely decorative in nature making it a fountain by article 680 definition.