Bonding Rebar

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
:-?Where is it required by code to bond the rebar in a residential footing?

Your never required to bond rebar by the NEC, but if 1/2" or larger rebar, 20' or longer exists in the footing the NEC requires you use it as a grounding electrode. See 250.50 and 250.52(A)(3)

wbalsam1

:-?Where is it required by code to bond the rebar in a residential footing?
It's as iwire has pointed out with the possible exception being if you're still on the 2002 NEC the wording at 250.50 says "if available" which is a lot different than the '05 which says "where present".:smile:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Check out the sections that Bob posted. Chances are very good that you'll need a CEE in any new building even a residential dwelling.

electricmanscott

Check out the sections that Bob posted. Chances are very good that you'll need a CEE in any new building even a residential dwelling.

Is there typically rebar in resi foundations in your area?

There never seems to be any on the houses I wire. I always try to get #4 in there anyway to avoid ground rods.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there typically rebar in resi foundations in your area?

There never seems to be any on the houses I wire. I always try to get #4 in there anyway to avoid ground rods.

There is always some reinforcement in the footing. I have seen some #3 rebar which would eliminate the requirement for a CEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.