Bonding to a pump skid in Class 1 Div 1 area

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicks1

Am i required to bond a pump skid in a classified area (class 1, div 1) that already has a ground conductor in the raceway to the peckerhead? The raceway is all metal rigid with a 3 foot piece of braided crousse-hinds flex approved for class 1, div 1. The pump was installed in 1988.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code does not require any additional bonding, assuming that the "ground conductor" that you said is in the raceway is the Equipment Grounding Conductor. Often job specs for that type or work will require additional bonding beyond what the code requires.

chicks1

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I know the ground conductor in the raceway is the equipment ground. Could you possibly know of an Article from the NEC I could quote? This is for an upcoming inspection I am having. I cannot find anything difinitive in the code book.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is nothing that says you need an additional bonding conductor, so there is no code section to cite. The specific grounding rules for a Class 1 location are in 501.30. Other that that, the normal rules found in Article 250 apply.

Like I said, often the specs require additional bonding. The specs at the plant I often work at would require an external bonding jumper from the conduit to the motor and then to the pump housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.