Bonding water and gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

collinkonow

Connecticut E-1 Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrician
Good afternoon everyone,

I am conducting a service change and installing a new 200 amp underground fed service. This will be a service disconnect meter enclosure due to the fact that the panelboard is more than 10 feet away from the meter enclosure. My question is this: Can I run a continuous grounding electrode conductor from the meter enclosure to my two ground rods and then bond tge gas and water line with the same continuous conductor? It would use much less wire and save a bunch of time to be able to do it this way. Rather than going back to the panel board to bond the gas and water. I don’t see any reason in the NEC why I can’t. Just seems unconventional and wanted to make sure before I did it.This is a residential structure. Single family dwelling. Thanks for any help.

Good afternoon everyone,

I am conducting a service change and installing a new 200 amp underground fed service. This will be a service disconnect meter enclosure due to the fact that the panelboard is more than 10 feet away from the meter enclosure. My question is this: Can I run a continuous grounding electrode conductor from the meter enclosure to my two ground rods and then bond tge gas and water line with the same continuous conductor? It would use much less wire and save a bunch of time to be able to do it this way. Rather than going back to the panel board to bond the gas and water. I don’t see any reason in the NEC why I can’t. Just seems unconventional and wanted to make sure before I did it.This is a residential structure. Single family dwelling. Thanks for any help.
Yes you can, as long as it is sized for the largest electrode which would be the water (typically #4). I'm fact the whole thing doesn't need to be continuous, just to the first electrode. Also the gas is usually bonded by the EGC with the circuit likely to energize the gas piping (CSST might have it's own bonding requirement).

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
What are the distances involved? A meter main on the house should have the GECs routed to it. A meter main on a pole 100' from the house would use rods at the pole. A GEC from the EG at the load end of the feeder would then bond the water & gas lines at the house (building)

collinkonow

Occupation
Electrician
What are the distances involved? A meter main on the house should have the GECs routed to it. A meter main on a pole 100' from the house would use rods at the pole. A GEC from the EG at the load end of the feeder would then bond the water & gas lines at the house (building)
The gas and water main are only 5-10’ from the meter, which is mounted on the side of the house

collinkonow

Occupation
Electrician
Yes you can, as long as it is sized for the largest electrode which would be the water (typically #4). I'm fact the whole thing doesn't need to be continuous, just to the first electrode. Also the gas is usually bonded by the EGC with the circuit likely to energize the gas piping (CSST might have it's own bonding requirement).
Yes thanks. It’s all black pipe, no CSST involved. Inspector wants it separately bonded, not just with the branch circuit GEC. I

Status
Not open for further replies.