Bonding Wedge

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
They don't seem to be very common. The only times I've seen one is when someone forgot to use a bond bushing or grounding locknut. Now that there are "split" bomnding bushings for after the fact installs, the wedges have been even less common.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not really clear in how they work. Do you use it instead of a locknut and use between a box and a metal bushing? Do you put a lug on it?
It gets wedged ( ;) ) between the locknut and the enclosure. It was made so it could be added to existing installations without having to disturb the conductors.

As Augie said, split binding bushings have made them less important, but there may be times when a bushing is already in place, requiring something thinner .

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is also a picture of one in the handbook, exhibit 250.39.

I'm not really clear in how they work. Do you use it instead of a locknut and use between a box and a metal bushing? Do you put a lug on it?
You use it underneath locknut works like a bonding locknut. If there are concentric or eccentric KO's you would add a lug to it like a bonding bushing.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You use it underneath locknut works like a bonding locknut. If there are concentric or eccentric KO's you would add a lug to it like a bonding bushing.
I've been under the impression it's always used with a lug and jumper.

I question the efficacy of some of these things, particularly bonding locknuts. Last time I used one I was not impressed at all. My local supply house has these extra thick locknuts, and I would take one of those made up nice and tight over that bonding locknut any day. I havnt ever used a bonding wedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.