Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiack

Hello All,

We have installing a 1600 amp service. We are using a # 3/0 water ground.

What size wire for the MIGB bushing and to bond all the cabinets. Also what size wire for the ground rod

Thanks Chris

:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bonding for the bushing and would be the same requirement as the grounding electrode conductor.

Not sure what you mean by cabinets. If they are service cabinets then again it would be the same size as the grounding electrode conductor

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ground only needs to be a #6 unless subject to physical damage then a #4 regardless of service size. What size main bonding jumper are you using?

zodiack

Bonding

Hello all

Thanks for the replys !!

I was googling the question and came across this forum and signed up!! Seems to be a nice place to bounce questions

Yes I do have the NEC just don't have latest edition and I can find my old one. LOL , also came across my Holt study books from many years ago.

Though MIGB was a common term or should I say basic

I was questioning my self on the bonding size.

We have two pieces or equipment a 1600a/CT Cabinet and a 8 Circuit Distribution board side by side. It is my understanding that the largest size ground for any service was 3/0. In this case this is what we used for our water main ground. And landed into the ground bar share by both cabinets. We did drive a rod used #4 And we did ground the conduits that entered the end line box from the street with #4 It is my understanding that all metal pieces of the end-line box, conduits , trough and 1600/CT and DB board have to be bonded.

I believe we have grounded and bonded correctly but wanted to run it by the forumn. Do you all believe I have grounded and bonded in accordence with the code.

Remember there are no silly questions
I forgotten what you are just learning
A good line of BS is worth two tool bags

Thanks for the reply I look forward to your answer

Thanks again

I do have a voltage drop question

250 foot run 100 amps at the end . What size wire

I came up with 1/0

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I do have a voltage drop question

250 foot run 100 amps at the end . What size wire

I came up with 1/0
Allow me to answer your question with some of my own:
-What is your maximum allowed voltage drop?
-What is your system voltage?
-Single or three phase?
-Are you using copper or aluminum wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.