Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because that is what the code making panel wanted the rule to say. The intent is to permit the replacement of the interior service equipment, which triggers the requirement for the Emergency Disconnect, without having to rework the existing grounding electrode conductor connections.
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have an allowance for adding an "emergency" disconnect without having to move the GEC connection in existing work?

Personally, I wish they would stop screwing around and just say what they want instead of making it so convoluted.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Connecting grounding electrode conductors from different grounding electrodes at different locations is not prohibited by the code.
With our utility, and an interior service disconnect we will always have that as our utility requires two ground rods at the meter and the GEC from those ground rods to be landed in the meter. The GEC from the water pipe would typically be connected in the service equipment.
I agree and I misspoke in my previous post.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have an allowance for adding an "emergency" disconnect without having to move the GEC connection in existing work?

Personally, I wish they would stop screwing around and just say what they want instead of making it so convoluted.
That is what the language does.
You have plenty of time to write up a PI for the 2026 code to get language you would like to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.