bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A phase to ground fault needs a path back to the source to operate the OCP device. The grounding to neutral provides that path.
A "neutral" is established by the sourece (common-point of a wye, mid point of a single phase, etc.)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
pictorial may help

bond.jpg
pencil.png

A phase to ground fault needs a path back to the source to operate the OCP device. The grounding to neutral provides that path.
A "neutral" is established by the sourece (common-point of a wye, mid point of a single phase, etc.)
thank you.so its bonded at the main panel so if ever a hot touches a grounded condutor[nuetral] it will give it a path to ground and trip the breaker.....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
thank you.so its bonded at the main panel so if ever a hot touches a grounded condutor[nuetral] it will give it a path to ground and trip the breaker.....
Ground has nothing to do with tripping the breaker, the EGC creates low impedance path back to the source.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

somewhat,.... if the phase (hot) conductor touched the neutral directly it would form its own path (regardless of bonding). The bond is there to provide a path between the grounding conductor (or items that are grounded) to the neutral or the service enclosure and the neutral.

so the grounded conductor and gounding conductor are bonded so that the unbalced load will find its way back to the panel and leave through the sec nuetral....

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
This graphic may be confusing in the context of the OP because it shows a meter reading 120V to earth instead of the guy with his hair standing on end, getting shocked.

obviously something is (confusing)...
I gave up
;)

Rick Christopherson

That's a very nice writeup that George Stolz wrote, but it is subtitled, "The Big Picture", when in fact it should be subtitled "Mike Holtz' Picture". While Mike is very well respected, that doesn't automatically mean that everything he states is considered gospel across the whole industry. Mike's teachings have dispelled some misconceptions, but they have also created some as well.

i understand egc is so if a hot[ungrounded condutor] touches a metal object it wont stay energized and use a human as a path to ground so we bond it to the egc so when a hot hit the meatl object it will flow through the egc and trip the breacker. the gec. grounds the system and gives us a path to ground for the egc...im tryn to understand y the nuetral is bonded to the grounding condutor...i understand y in a sub panel u keep them seperate bc you dont want current running through the nuetral in case of a ground fault...but i will read up on it so i gain the knowledge

skeshesh

Think about this: what would happen if you don't bond the neutral at the ground? What makes a phase conductor "hot"?

Voltage is a potential difference that is established between two points. In a typical light commercial North American LV system, you have 208 volts between phase conductors. When you ground a neutral, the grounded conductor is at 0 potential so that you establish a phase to neutral voltage of 120V. You are asking the right kind of questions, do the research on your own but do post concerns if you don't understand something and the good people of the forum who I've learned plenty from will be sure to lend a hand.

tryinghard

i understand egc is so if a hot[ungrounded condutor] touches a metal object it wont stay energized and use a human as a path to ground so we bond it to the egc so when a hot hit the meatl object it will flow through the egc and trip the breacker.
Always remember electricity is not seeking ground it is seeking its source. You can have a fault (hot to metal) and if the metal path back to the specific source is bad the circuit will not trip. Correct equipment grounding includes an effective fault current path anything less is not correct and hazardous, read 250.4(A)(3)-(5).

You?re close though this same short will only travel back to the source effectively if the bonding is at the service disconnect area because it needs the services neutral to be effective.

If the bond is not in place it would only be luck at best to trip the circuit because this same short would be relying on the earth between the source transformer and the service disconnects electrode; 4.8A would occur if there were 25 ohms (between the transformer?s GEC and service disconnects GEC) at 120V ? you would need less than 8 ohms for a 15A circuit to trip. The earth?s resistance is unknown at any given moment this is why it is extremely hazardous and a code violation to use as a fault path, think of it as not possible and this is the best mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.