Bootleg electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

This realtor/property management company we have done some work for in the past, picked up an old, three run down building to manage. We have made a few repairs and added a circuit this year.

The new tenant in #3 has no power to her range. The guy who took the call could not figure out the problem and called me. He said that the bottom half of the split bus panel had power, but the top half (where the range breaker is) did not have power. There are 8 units, with the meters and panels all in the basement, and they are all nippled together.

Before I arrived, he figured out that the 2 pole breaker that feed the bottom half was off, so he flipped it on and the top half had power. So he was picking up tools, and preparing to leave. While we we talking, I noticed that meter #3 had a Red "cut off" meter seal. Hmmmm? I took the panel cover off and there was an unlabeled 50-amp breaker in the bottom half that had #6 thhn going into the nipple. Most of the old conductors were old romex or TW. We traced the #6's through the nipples into a 50-amp breaker in panel #6. Oh, and #3 used to be the maintenance man's apartment.

Okay, up to talk to the lady in #3.

"Have you paid your deposit with the PoCo?"

"No, I have to wait to the 1st of the month"

"Well, we need to shut off the temporary power that you have".

The new leasing agent was on site, so I told her the story. She called the main office, and a call back gave me the instructions to move the bootleg power to the house panel. Well. the range has only 2 burners and a small oven, so it might not trip the 50-amp "temp service" rating.

I just hope for the manager's sake, that the tenant #6 doesn't find out.

quogueelectric

People are funny when it comes to money. It truly seems to be the root of all evil. I am afraid to even post some sticky situations I have encountered and just for the record there are some shameless people out there.

mdshunk

Minuteman said:
Okay, up to talk to the lady in #3.

"Have you paid your deposit with the PoCo?"

"No, I have to wait to the 1st of the month"

"Well, we need to shut off the temporary power that you have".
I'm curious why you even felt the need to go this route? Electrical work is one thing. Being the self-elected electrical police is totally another.

Minuteman

mdshunk said:
I'm curious why you even felt the need to go this route? Electrical work is one thing. Being the self-elected electrical police is totally another.
My fear was, that PoCo will re-energize the meter, and will be out of phase with the bootleg circuit. I have no desire to police anybody.

The leasing agent will call me, so that we can disconnect the temp from the house meter, after #3 pays her deposit with PoCo.

mivey

mdshunk said:
If he did nothing, wouldn't that be failure to report a crime?

[edit: I'm not sure if that, in itself, is a crime but moving the wire and not saying anything might be considered hiding a crime. Hiding a crime is most likely a crime.]

Last edited:

LawnGuyLandSparky

quogueelectric said:
People are funny when it comes to money. It truly seems to be the root of all evil. I am afraid to even post some sticky situations I have encountered and just for the record there are some shameless people out there.

Did you hear the one about the Suffolk cops and their Meter keys?

LawnGuyLandSparky

Well it's the same old story, cops bust an employee of the utility, confiscate posessions, and upon release the meter key is missing, and a whole bunch of police officers suddenly became VERY energy efficient.

nc5p

When I was 18 I worked for a wire & cable supply that also sold alarms and telephone equipment. The guy was a con man and didn't pay the electric bill. The poco cut him off, so he rigged up two long extension cords (which he conveniently had in inventory), cut off the connector and attached a second plug. When I reported to work I was instructed to plug each cord into particular outlets in the "dead" store, then walked across the back alley and plugged them into outdoor receptacles at a warehouse on the street behind. The cords got rather warm but everything worked. Later he didn't pay the phone bill, so another guy who worked there climbed up the pole in the alley (he sold pole climbing gear) and found some live phone pairs. One seemed to never be used, so when a telemarketer called he inquired the number dialed. The next day he had business cards with the bootleg phone line on them. Funny thing was the telco did nothing about shutting it off for six months. I got tired of bounced paychecks and went on to installing stuff, later college and engineering. Last I heard he moved to Puerto Rico.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Well it's the same old story, cops bust an employee of the utility, confiscate posessions, and upon release the meter key is missing, and a whole bunch of police officers suddenly became VERY energy efficient.
Around here, you need to get very delinquent or get caught tampering to earn a meter lock. I wonder what the cops had done wrong? :wink:

LawnGuyLandSparky

LarryFine said:
Around here, you need to get very delinquent or get caught tampering to earn a meter lock. I wonder what the cops had done wrong? :wink:

I wish I had more details, but that's pretty much all I know. I know a guy who worked in the utility's asset control department, but not that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.