Bootleg grounds & enumerated list of why it's bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

I'm trying to compile a list of reasons why bootleg grounds (running a jumper from the neutral to the grounding terminal on an outlet) is bad.

1. Lose the neutral and you have no redundant fault path.
2. Normal current through the neutral conductor means raising the Voltage of the "grounding" terminal at the appliance plugged into the outlet. V=I*R-wire. Might be small, but enough to get electrocuted or at least tingled.
3. Elaborating on #2, this Voltage could causes sparks between phone, modem, cable TV, etc. grounding connections. Industrially it could affect or destroy sensors and data logging equipment - loss of single point grounding.
4. Can better couple noise from the neutral onto the grounding terminals of everything else on that outlet/branch
5. In a ground fault situation, the Voltage will rise from V=I*R-neutralwire until the fault clears, which may take long enough to harm things or people.
6. Two conductors terminated on a terminal designed for one conductor makes it more likely it'll fall off later on, see #1.

Am I missing any?

Matt

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The neutral is not a fault path, so I don't understand your point #1.
I think you are missing the most important point. If you lose the neutral upstream of the bootleg connection and there is a load, all of the metal parts will be energized at line voltage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That looks pretty complete.
It is by rule bad because the Code prohibits it, but that is not by itself the kind of fundamental justification you are looking for.
I would state your #1 differently though.
If the neutral is lost you do not lose a redundant fault clearing path. You never had more than one in the first place
More importantly, even in the absence of any equipment fault, losing the neutral can immediately put full line voltage on the exposed metal surfaces.

Tapatalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.