Bought an old house.. no ground wire at sub panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostinFlorida

New User
Occupation
Unemployed
Well, as the heading states, I bought an old house with an older out building that has power run out to it. It’s an old box with glass fuses.
It’s fed from my main panel from a double pull 20 breaker. They used underground feed wire but there is no ground wire, just black, red, and white.
I’m installing a 60amp panel in place of the old fuse panel. I’m only looking to put a few outlets and lights out there. I’m not an electrician but all my research to this point says the neutrals and grounds should be separated in the sub panel, but I have no ground wire.
I don’t have any way to add a ground wire all the way out there, and the power was working fine from the old fuse box. Can I do this safely? I appreciate any input you guys can give me. I don’t want anyone to get hurt.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The forum rules do not allow us to assist DIYers, we can only suggest you contact a local EC.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.