Box Fill Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Alright, here we go!

You have a 4" square metal junction box 2-1/8" deep with NO integral clamps. An 1-1/2" extension ring is added to the box.

The box has 6 cable assemblies that terminate inside the box with the following wires:

2- 12/2 with ground MC cables
3- 12/2 with ground, 16/2 MC-LED cables
1- cable assembly from Emergency Light mini-inverter

The above is broken down as follows:

5- 12 awg equipment grounds
1- 18 awg equipment ground (from EL mini inverter)

5- 12 awg neutrals

5- 12 awg hots

6- 16 awg LED dimmer control wires

11- 18 awg emergency light inverter wires (12-1=11 equip gnd grouped above)

There are no devices in the box, just the wires, ground screw, extension ring and cover plate.

Is there adequate space in the setup as described for box fill?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Is the plaster ring round, single or double gang? And what is its rated cubic inches by it's manufacturer? Is the cover plate domed and is it rated with a cubic inch volume?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is the plaster ring round, single or double gang? And what is its rated cubic inches by it's manufacturer? Is the cover plate domed and is it rated with a cubic inch volume?

His box has a standard 1.5" extension collar box not a plaster ring.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
His box has a standard 1.5" extension collar box not a plaster ring.
:dunce: Ahh. Thank you. (And I even READ the words. . . :ashamed:)

I presume, then that the cover plate is a 4" square flat blank box cover, i.e., no dome?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
:dunce: Ahh. Thank you. (And I even READ the words. . . :ashamed:)

I presume, then that the cover plate is a 4" square flat blank box cover, i.e., no dome?

Yes, I'm assuming that he has a flat blank cover which doesn't add to the box volume.

Unless otherwise marked for calculation purposes I come up with 30.3 cubic inches plus 21 cubic inches for the extension collar.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I come up with a box volume of 30.3+21=51.3 but still too small if we use the calculated value that Dennis provided. Needs a 2 1/8" deep extension collar.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Unless otherwise marked for calculation purposes I come up with 30.3 cubic inches plus 21 cubic inches for the extension collar.

I agree that there is 50.3 total cu. inch in the box, however, the wire fill is 51.75

I disagree with the stated volume for the extension ring. I don't think the 21.0 cu in from Table 314.16(A) applies, as it is not a box, rather a "ring". Therefore a trip to the manufacturer's product description is in order. A Raco 201 4" square 1-1/2" deep extension ring, drawn, with 12 1/2" K.O.s has a specified 22.5 Cu. in. volume.

The total volume of the assembly is, therefore, 52.8 cubes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I disagree with the stated volume for the extension ring. I don't think the 21.0 cu in from Table 314.16(A) applies, as it is not a box, rather a "ring". Therefore a trip to the manufacturer's product description is in order. A Raco 201 4" square 1-1/2" deep, drawn, with 12 1/2" K.O.s has a specified 22.5 Cu. in. volume.

I agree that's if he uses a Raco extension box and it is marked on the extension otherwise you use the dimensions in the table as I stated.

314.16(A) Box Volume Calculations. The volume of a wiring
enclosure (box) shall be the total volume of the assembled
sections and, where used, the space provided by plaster
rings, domed covers, extension rings, and so forth, that are
marked with their volume or are made from boxes the di-
mensions of which are listed in Table 314.16(A).

ivsenroute

I disagree with the stated volume for the extension ring. I don't think the 21.0 cu in from Table 314.16(A) applies, as it is not a box, rather a "ring". Therefore a trip to the manufacturer's product description is in order. A Raco 201 4" square 1-1/2" deep extension ring, drawn, with 12 1/2" K.O.s has a specified 22.5 Cu. in. volume.

You are correct Sir! The extension ring is 22.5 cu.in.

Therefore we are good by .05 cu.in,

Talk about cutting it close!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I agree that's if he uses a Raco extension box and it is marked on the extension otherwise you use the dimensions in the table as I stated.

314.16(A) Box Volume Calculations. The volume of a wiring enclosure (box) shall be the total volume of the assembled sections and, where used, the space provided by plaster rings, domed covers, extension rings, and so forth, that are marked with their volume or are made from boxes the dimensions of which are listed in Table 314.16(A).

It would be an odd manufacturer that didn't mark their extension rings, in my opinion. But, you got me looking at some of the other extension rings. It appears to have been my dumb luck that I looked at Raco first. Raco appears to be the exception to a more common sizing shown below.

A Garvin #53151-1/2 1-1/2" deep extension ring, welded, with 12-1/2" K.O.s, as seen in this linked Garvin PDF is marked "21.0 Cu. In."

A Cooper Crouse Hinds #TP4xx line of 1-1/2" rings are all 21.0 Cu. In. as shown in this link to a catalog PDf.

Thomas and Betts #53151 line also shows 21.0 Cu. In.

ivsenroute

It would be an odd manufacturer that didn't mark their extension rings, in my opinion. But, you got me looking at some of the other extension rings. It appears to have been my dumb luck that I looked at Raco first. Raco appears to be the exception to a more common sizing shown below.

A Garvin #53151-1/2 1-1/2" deep extension ring, welded, with 12-1/2" K.O.s, as seen in this linked Garvin PDF is marked "21.0 Cu. In."

A Cooper Crouse Hinds #TP4xx line of 1-1/2" rings are all 21.0 Cu. In. as shown in this link to a catalog PDf.

Thomas and Betts #53151 line also shows 21.0 Cu. In.

Uh Oh, I just looked at a Raco 4x4 1-1/2" deep extension ring and although the manufacturer says it has 22.5, the ring has no markings or stamps indicating its cubic inches, therefore..................drumroll please............we have to go by the chart of 21.

Bad installation.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Uh Oh, I just looked at a Raco 4x4 1-1/2" deep extension ring and although the manufacturer says it has 22.5, the ring has no markings or stamps indicating its cubic inches, therefore..................drumroll please............we have to go by the chart of 21.

But can we go by Table 314.16(A)? Look at 314.16(A) again.

314.16(A) Box Volume Calculations. The volume of a wiring enclosure (box) shall be the total volume of the assembled sections and, where used, the space provided by plaster rings, domed covers, extension rings, and so forth, that are marked with their volume or are made from boxes the dimensions of which are listed in Table 314.16(A).

The rule says where the extension rings are "made from boxes". . . In my opinion, there is no way to determine if an unmarked Raco 201 is made from a box. To my mind, the extension ring is more likely to be made from a sheet of steel with a hole punched in it.

I would submit that, for the absence of the marking, the Raco 201 you have examined has zero cubic inches.

It also would be interesting to hear what Raco / Hubbell's tech support has to say about the cubic inch size and "marking" of the 201.

Status
Not open for further replies.