Braided jacket nm wiring and Florida 4 point inspection

spacecon

Occupation
electrical engineer (semi-retired)
A house inspector flagged a house as having "cloth wiring" on the Citizens Insurance 4 point form for Florida. The house has a combination of newer NM with ground wiring with plastic over-jacket and older NM wiring with color coded plastic insulated wires with ground and braided jacket overall. All of it has grounds. There is nowhere on the form to distinguish between cloth wiring and NM wiring that has thermoplastic PVC insulation with a braided over-jacket. So the inspector flags it as the house having cloth wiring, which can be interpreted as it having old cloth wiring over-jacket with brittle rubber insulation over the internal conductors or even older cloth wiring that has cloth and paper insulation over the copper conductors. I feel it shouldn't have to be replaced, but I am sure that if the insurance company sees "cloth wiring" they will demand it. Is this inspector overzealous, or am I wrong? To me it seems like the main purpose of the overall jacket is not to insulate the conductors, but to hold them together so they can be run together. They are inside the jacket and that outer jacket isn't what prevents them from shorting together, they have their own plastic insulation. The 4 point blank form can be seen here: https://www.citizensfla.com/documen...ction+PL/3d7e0270-2c1d-4a14-b2e6-3a796c675a7f
Thanks. Apparently this is an unclear, not definitively answered question in Florida where insurance companies run the show.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm familiar with Florida 4-point inspections and part of the problem is that the insurance people writing the inspection parameters (like cloth wiring) are very lacking in basic electrical knowledge. Then you have HI's who just check a box on the 4-point and the rest is just a mess. I don't think that the NEC has ever used the term cloth wiring to describe a type of wiring method. Old NM cable may have tinned copper with rubber insulation but is that what the 4-point means when it says "cloth wiring"?

I've asked several Florida HI's and they cannot answer the question either. If the cable has thermoplastic conductors IMO it is not what they think "cloth wiring" actually is and should not be checked off on the 4-point. Until they hire someone who is more knowledgeable at writing their inspection parameters you'll end up with these problems. What you can probably do is hire a competent electrician who can refute what's in the 4-point.

spacecon

Occupation
electrical engineer (semi-retired)
I'm familiar with Florida 4-point inspections and part of the problem is that the insurance people writing the inspection parameters (like cloth wiring) are very lacking in basic electrical knowledge. Then you have HI's who just check a box on the 4-point and the rest is just a mess. I don't think that the NEC has ever used the term cloth wiring to describe a type of wiring method. Old NM cable may have tinned copper with rubber insulation but is that what the 4-point means when it says "cloth wiring"?

I've asked several Florida HI's and they cannot answer the question either. If the cable has thermoplastic conductors IMO it is not what they think "cloth wiring" actually is and should not be checked off on the 4-point. Until they hire someone who is more knowledgeable at writing their inspection parameters you'll end up with these problems. What you can probably do is hire a competent electrician who can refute what's in the 4-point.
Thanks for that. I agree. They put down "cloth wiring" on the form but don't define it. And then an insurance employee sees "cloth wiring" and immediately responds with what they have heard, without knowing what the heck it really is or what they are talking about. I just don't see it being any kind of fire or safety issue if it has plastic conductor insulation that is in good shape. An unnecessary waste of time and money IMO.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for that. I agree. They put down "cloth wiring" on the form but don't define it. And then an insurance employee sees "cloth wiring" and immediately responds with what they have heard, without knowing what the heck it really is or what they are talking about. I just don't see it being any kind of fire or safety issue if it has plastic conductor insulation that is in good shape. An unnecessary waste of time and money IMO.
It definitely a problem for the reasons you've mentioned.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As stated, hire an EC to inspect the wiring independently and write a letter. This doesn't mean the insurance co will give in, they can do what they want to do.

garbo

A little knowledge is dangerous. My house was built in 1964 with the old style cloth NM cable. I have replaced most of it anytime that I had a wall open. Recently I replaced a duplex receptacle and inspected the insulation with a bright flashlight. Still in great shape. I recently argued with a so called expert home inspector when my sister was selling her second home. He came in on a hot day and turned all the baseboard heaters & electric range on high for awhile. Panel was in direct line of sun. He demanded that the 20 year old panel & circuit breakers be replaced because they were warm. I asked him what type of FLIR camera did he use. None. Ask if he even used a cheap under $100 infrared gun to take readings. Nope he used his hand. He then said no electrical work was required. Can remember when our local electrical supply house started selling NM cable with the plastic jacket around 1966-67. Charged 50¢ more per 250' box then the cloth covered type. Was worth the extra money especially on hot days. No more tar covers hands. As long as 14 guage NM cable was on a 15 amp breaker like wise 12 guage on 20 amp breakers and not in extra hot unvented far south attics cloth type NM should still be in good shape.