branch circuit grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

magellan

My inspector is requiring a separate ground wire for all branch circuit individually run to the main panel. In the past inspectors have allowed the grounds to be combined and for the conduit to be the bond.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: branch circuit grounds

it is not unheard of for something like this to be a contract requirement. I have put it in specs to avoid the "conduit is ground" story after the fact. I want a green wire run with the circuit.

it's not a nec requirement though.

and I can't imagine why anyone would require multiple green wires in a conduit.

growler

Re: branch circuit grounds

Doesn't it seem strange that an inspector would try to enforce job specs. It also seems strange that an electrician's apprentice would be the one to deal with the local inspector without a journeyman or master to consult if there were problems on the job. I know that some companies let some of their less experienced employees run small jobs to gain experience, but they all have masters and journeymen to consult when a problem arises. I would think that the first person to get an opinion from would be a more experienced electrician that works for the company because they will have more information about the job than anyone on a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.