Branch circuit out of main panel single phase

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
All single phase main panels from service I installed had NM cable coming out of cabinet box for branch circuit loads and stapled between walls on studs

However the project I’m working on now is at a lab and have made some branch circuits with EMT and THHN wire inside of conduit.

I was told I could not just enter THHN into main panel with bushings and connector? as I would with an nm cable, NM connector and bushings

If wall one one side of panel and other side of room with EMT makes it difficult to continue EMT all the way to each knockout, would I have to use MC

I ONLY have MC cable in 12 AWG

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Main panel 120/240 standard fed from a delta step down transformer 480/240 volt

5000 VA Transformer probably too small but engineer selected this for several 20 branch circuits in lab

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are you asking if you can bring the circuit into the panel with just the THHN open conductors not enclosed in a raceway ??

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Are you asking if you can bring the circuit into the panel with just the THHN open conductors not enclosed in a raceway ??
We’ll kind of but is there anyway to do this because EMT gets real hard to bend around corners

I’m thinking there’s no other way to do this without EMT or conduit entering knockouts, or MC cable?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
or a flexible conduit,(FMC, LFMC, LFNC etc.)
310.10 Uses Permitted. The conductors described in 310.104 shall be permitted for use in any of the wiring methods covered in Chapter 3 and as specified in their respective tables or as permitted elsewhere in this Code.