Branch Circuits and Feeders same Service Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

I read article 230.7 and saw that in the same service enclosure branch circuits and feeders do not need to be separated from the service entrance conductors. I am panning to run branch circuits and feeders out of the top of this overhead service and just want to make sure its 100% legal. I could always LB out of the side and then go up but would rather not for aesthetic reasons. Say you have a separate meter housing with feed out into side of panel branch circuits and feeders are in contact with service entrance cables.... but per 230.7 this legal as they are all in same service enclosure. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200423_111317 (3).jpg
    20200423_111317 (3).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 25

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think there's any compliant way to run your load conductors through the meter section.

zcanyonboltz

They are 2 factory spots for a hub above on this panel. I removed a factory installed divider on left in lower panel area that is made to separate underground service feeds from conductors in lower panel compartment.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The divider makes/made it not "the same compartment." What you want to do is way different.

You should check with both your power company and your inspector before doing any work.

zcanyonboltz

I will. But my example of a separate meter housing feeding a panel those panels often don't have a divider and the service conductors are in direct contact with the branch circuits and feeders before the service entrance conductors hit the main breaker. But there's something about the setup I'm posting about that has me wondering how legit it really is.

zcanyonboltz

A setup like this there is no divider. I do realize I want to pass through the meter compartment which completely changes things. But I can't find anything in the NEC referring to this. The photo is very old equipment but still generally the same when doing the same install with today's equipment.

Attachments

• 20200129_105352.jpg
    20200129_105352.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 14

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Come out of the side of the panel with an LB and pipe up from there. IMO, one could argue that the path between the meter and panel is a wireway in which case it would be a violation. Also the listing of the equipment is probably only for service conductors in that meter section.

zcanyonboltz

Thanks for the replies. I will LB out of the side and then go up with no conductors other than service conductors in the meter compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.