Branch MC Layout Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So a pnel feeding thee circuit is about 100' away. No shared neutrals allowed. So essentially I guess you need separate MC cable for each circuit or multiple neutral MC. Blue lines represent the MC cable and the black squares are the home run boxes. Questions.

1. I guess only one HR box is needed. COuld just extend the branch a little further?
2. Would you use a multiple neutral MC for any of the circuits? Why and which one?
3. The (4) receptacles on ckt #23. I know this may be a dumb question but I've been told many times to just figure from each receptacle up a 'X' footage to a box and you'll come up with overall correct footage. But in this case( and many others) in my mind this is how it would actually be wires in the field. Drop cable down to receptacle rto left of room name then run horizontal in wall to other receptacle right above room name then rise up and across room to receptacle to the right of the door in the same room and then back up from that receptacle and down to the other receptacle to the right of the door in the other room. THis would take care of all the ckt #23 receptacles. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I didn't look at your diagram but,

Yes, I would use 12/2/2 or 12/4 everywhere I could.

There is no reason to run all the home runs all to one box. That would be stupid and a pain to make up splices and a major pain to come back and troubleshoot.

The electricians are gonna run the wire where they see best no matter what you think ought to be done.

mstrlucky74

I didn't look at your diagram but,

Yes, I would use 12/2/2 or 12/4 everywhere I could.

There is no reason to run all the home runs all to one box. That would be stupid and a pain to make up splices and a major pain to come back and troubleshoot.

The electricians are gonna run the wire where they see best no matter what you think ought to be done.

Thanks...you should look at pic but no prob. If there were 6 ckts in the room why wouldnt you run a home run pipe from panel to home run box in room and run all 6 branch circuits to that box and do splices? Size box big enough( maybe 6x6) I see no problem? What the other alternative?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Thanks...you should look at pic but no prob. If there were 6 ckts in the room why wouldnt you run a home run pipe from panel to home run box in room and run all 6 branch circuits to that box and do splices? Size box big enough( maybe 6x6) I see no problem? What the other alternative?

I would run pipe and pull HRs, but you said it was all MC.

cdslotz

I would run a conduit home run to a J-box them MC from there.

Have you considered how labor intensive running all MC home runs would be vs conduit? Not to mention an ugly mess.
I never allowed my electricians run MC home runs, unless special conditions or permission.
Under special conditions we would use Home Run MC cable....but it's very expensive

If you have any doubts, wheel that run off using conduit home run/MC...then wheel it off using all MC

In fact, do that and tell us the results

mstrlucky74

Have you considered how labor intensive running all MC home runs would be vs conduit? Not to mention an ugly mess.
I never allowed my electricians run MC home runs, unless special conditions or permission.
Under special conditions we would use Home Run MC cable....but it's very expensive

If you have any doubts, wheel that run off using conduit home run/MC...then wheel it off using all MC

I agree..would not run mc homerun

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Here is a fine example of how this move to no shared neutrals makes things more costly than they should be.

Back in the day I could run a 1/2" emt, pull nine HRs and branch out from there. Now I have to run two pipes or run one oversized pipe with oversized conductors because of derating.

As much as I am a fan of conduit for HRs I'm sure I could install three runs of 12/2/2 for less total cost.

jumper

Here is a fine example of how this move to no shared neutrals makes things more costly than they should be.

Back in the day I could run a 1/2" emt, pull nine HRs and branch out from there. Now I have to run two pipes or run one oversized pipe with oversized conductors because of derating.

As much as I am a fan of conduit for HRs I'm sure I could install three runs of 12/2/2 for less total cost.

You mean 3/4”. Pretty sure you cannot put twelve #12 (9 hots, 3 noodles, use EMT as EGC) in a 1/2” conduit.

mstrlucky74

Thats a good point so NOW with no shared neutrals and 6 1P 20a ckts it's a 1" pipe with 6 hots 6 neutrals and 1G or like you said, (3) 12/2/2's MC cable HR. Only thing is spec always says we have to pipe out of panel so I'd run a 10' stick up and out of closet to box.

jumper

Thats a good point so NOW with no shared neutrals and 6 1P 20a ckts it's a 1" pipe with 6 hots 6 neutrals and 1G or like you said, (3) 12/2/2's MC cable HR. Only thing is spec always says we have to pipe out of panel so I'd run a 10' stick up and out of closet to box.

That works.

Personally I would pipe to the area and then branch off, but I do not estimate so I got no real clue about pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.