Breaker Box Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booker4158

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I live in a rural county area that generally doesn't require building permits or inspections. However, the state (IA) does require an electrical inspection. Currently, the breaker box in my basement is in a small room that meets accessibility and clearance requirements, but would be classified as a closet by many people. The closet is off of a finished room that could be used as a basement office or basement any other type of room. The "closet" has nothing in it that would make it a clothes closet and there is no storage shelves, etc. It's just a small, empty room that has only the breaker box.

I'm having a new line run to the house (due to building additional garage) and it will likely cause work in the house's breaker box. My concern is that the state inspector will rule it a "clothes closet" and something will have to be changed. I'm trying to figure out my options.

Ideally, it could be classified as a small utility room since it's not setup or used to store anything. Does that seem like a reasonable argument?

If not, I'm not sure what other options I have that would not involve tearing up my finished basement. Could the box be "turned around" such that the access panel is on an exterior wall (yes, I'd have to go outdoors to flip a breaker)?

Any other thoughts or creative suggestions are welcome.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to assist you in performing your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

If installing stuff is not your occupation, then we can’t help you install stuff. You would have had to agree with that rule during the process of registering on the forum.

The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the dozens of other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. Mike doesn’t want anyone to get injured by any incidents related to electrical installations. But he also doesn’t want to be sued by the injured party’s relatives on the basis of him not telling you enough to keep you safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.