Breaker breaking down...new to me question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Happy Monday all,

I was working on a circuit and went to turn it off.

The panel.....which has issues (but that's a different story) is in the basement. The area is damp and takes some water when it rains (I don't believe the panel has ever been submersed).
As i was looking into which breaker it may be, all the breakers seamed to be wet (glistening). I wiped them with my finger then a cloth and "Black" came off the breaker. Like "ink".
Has anyone seen this behavior in the plastic of a breaker (Sq D)? I don't know what to make of it.

Thanks all.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have never seen such a thing, but then again I've said it before, we only get about 15 inches of rain a year here on average, but all of our panels are outside so you would think we would be more likely to get mold.

mkgrady

I have never seen such a thing, but then again I've said it before, we only get about 15 inches of rain a year here on average, but all of our panels are outside so you would think we would be more likely to get mold.

I don't think you will see mold on anything that gets sun shining on it unless it is absorbent and will not dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.