breaker for 6 amp well pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekeman

I have a 1/2 HP submersible pump rated at 6 amps. It is wired with 14/2 with a 30 amp breaker. Is this OK with code since there is thermal overload protection in the motor and starting current must be about 4x rated?

stew

Re: breaker for 6 amp well pump

see 430.52 250% of fl amps is 15. 14 awg cord per 400.6A ampacity is 18 amps.I am assuming that the submersible is cord connected with so cord eh?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I will asume the 14/2 is NM.15 amp.Max Breaker.That`s one issue.second cord connected or hard wired?

iwire

Staff member

For motor loads the breaker has little to do with conductor size 240.4(D) does not apply to motor loads.

That aside 250% of 6 amps is 15 amps, there should be know reason to need a breaker larger than 15 to start this well pump.

This 1/2 HP motor must not be 120 volt to only need 6 amps?

zekeman

Thanks for your responses.

The cable from the main panel is BX to the junction box . The cable to the well casing is NM.
Since the continuous load is 6 amps then the 14/2
wire, I take it, is OK. However are you telling me that since NEC allows 250% for the breaker, then it should not, in this case, exceed 15 amps?

Suppose the rated current were 8 amps; would this then mean that the 20 amp breaker would be appropriate?

drg

Zekeman ,I would think that the cable going to the well casing would be UF and not NM.

Also is the 20 amp breaker a single pole or double pole?
I am guessing its a double pole.

John

zekeman

John

I stand corrected. You're right; its UV and 12/2, not 14/2. But the BX from the main panel is 14/2.
Also the breaker is double pole for the 240V.

Thanks for responding

Status
Not open for further replies.