breaker height rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I was under the impression that on a service panel as long as the main breaker was under the height of 6 7 then you were ok. Is this correct or not? Or do ALL the branch breakers have to be under 6-7 I always thoght that exception 3 on 220.24 allowed it with reference to 225.4. But I guess that the main breaker is not considered a feeder breaker eh? Hope this isnt a dumb question.

bphgravity

Re: breaker height rule

404.8(A) and 240.24 indicate that All the overcurrent devices, switches or circuit breakers have the height limitation described in those sections.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Apparently, the reasoning is that excessive height (different for different people, obviously) renders breakers less than 'readily accessible'.

Art,404.8 - ALL SWITCHES & CIRCUIT BREAKERS used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place.

allenwayne

Most poco`s around here require The meter to be set at 5 1/2 ft above grade to center line.In order too meet the 6 7 would be a pain to maintain.
The inspectors let it go on back to hack services,or you can use the upper factory ko,which leaves the top bkr, well it is lower than the 6 7 rulling,while :D the rest of breakers are way lower the panel max :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by allenwayne:
Most poco`s around here require The meter to be set at 5 1/2 ft above grade to center line.In order too meet the 6 7 would be a pain to maintain.
Yeah it's a good thing we can ignore the rules when they are "a pain" to follow. :roll:

[ September 04, 2005, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Bob,
Isn't that listed right below the rule that NEC requirements can be altered dependant on truck inventory?
"I knew the Code called for a #10 ground, but #12 green was all I had on the truck" :p

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by augie47:
Bob,
Isn't that listed right below the rule that NEC requirements can be altered dependant on truck inventory?
Yeah that would be also near the exception for reduced burial depths if the digging is hard or if it's really hot out. :D

pierre

"Yeah that would be also near the exception for reduced burial depths if the digging is hard or if it's really hot out."

You missed, " but that cost more money"

Seriously, you may be surprised how often an inspector hears these kind of excuses - they probably worked when these guys were in school.

Oh yeah, my dog ate the plans :D

luckyshadow

I had to cut the ground rod off !! There's rocks in the ground and that makes it hard to drive it in all the way, besides I got about 6 feet of in! :roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

The worst part of cutting a rod is making the freshly-cut end look like you've been pounding on it. :eek:

peter

Mr. Fine,
Not only "The worst part of cutting a rod is making the freshly-cut end look like you've been pounding on it" but the top end of a ground rod has a small cone-shaped divot in the middle of it. Imspectors look for this divot. Knowledgeable apprentices always carry a countersink with them for this situation.
~Peter :eek:

dillon3c

Originally posted by peter:
Knowledgeable apprentices always carry a countersink with them for this situation.

Umm,yeh..

These must be the same apprentices that use "black phase tape" on the ends of their NM Cable, before they dye it to a differant color around April Fools Day.. ;)

allenwayne

Originally posted by peter:
Mr. Fine,
Not only "The worst part of cutting a rod is making the freshly-cut end look like you've been pounding on it" but the top end of a ground rod has a small cone-shaped divot in the middle of it. Imspectors look for this divot. Knowledgeable apprentices always carry a countersink with them for this situation.
~Peter ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.