Breaker in a switchgear that's not connected to the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleE7

Occupation
Electrician
Is it against NEC to have a breaker in a switchgear that's not connected to the bus,

main-qimg-79f00cc39bf6546a17c5586d6940d08c

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure, but, I'd stand back when turning on those 480 volt rated feeder breakers that are directly connected to the grid power. :)

DoubleE7

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure, but, I'd stand back when turning on those 480 volt rated feeder breakers that are directly connected to the grid power. :)
yeah, there are upstream transformer and SEL relay protection on those, that I didnt draw

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
From this drawing it appears to me that a Breaker protected 480v panel with ( control ? ) feeds the line side of a breaker inside the same enclosure which that source is regulated using the floating breaker within the same enclosure from were it originated, which then feeds the 480v heater.

Why wouldn't they add another panel next to the original 480 panel allowing protection of the heater outside the switch gear. It looks like someone was trying to utilize an existing wiring system, to accommodate their own intention.

I'm not sure if it violated any code other than being confusing as ---

kwired

Electron manager
It seems curious that they would put it inside the switch gear but it could just as easily have been in the panel board.
Presuming there is a breaker in the "480 panel" why would you run the circuit back to the "switchgear" in the first place?

Running it back to a spot adjacent to the "switchgear" makes sense if the heater is in the vicinity of the gear, but why not provide separate disconnect if that is what it is all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.