breaker lockouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf more

inspec has told contractor that lockout will not cut it anymore for dw...

he wants to see a single pole switch under the sink,inside the cab....

this kitchen is not on the same floor as panel ,but i did not think that made a differ..

i would like everyone to chime in---IF YOU GET THE URGE!!!!!!!!!

jamesoftn

I think if a disconnecting means is required then it should be a disconnect. Most add on breaker locks that are installed fall off the first time the cover is removed. If the disconnect is so important then a disconnect it shall be. I do know the code allows a breaker lock to be used and have used many.

The Iceman

My dishwasher has an off switch. Wouldn't that fall under 422.32 Exception? Is the dishwasher cord and plug connected? If so you don't need to add another disconnecting means if it's accessible. 422.33 (A).

romba_one

Is there a def. of what makes an appliance "motor driven"? I can understand a garbage disposal or a fan unit being considered "motor driven". On the other hand I had thought the main use of electrical power in a dishwasher was to heat the water and a small motor pumped the hot water through the spray arm. Is that motor significant enough to make the dishwasher "motor driven"?
OR
Is it just that "motor driven" is intended to convey that the appliance has a motor? Of any size?

One explaination I got from our State of Wisconsin Electrical inspector was that the controller for the dishwasher was inside the appliance and that led the appliance to be considered motor driven.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.