Breaker not tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

So today I was working on a friend's house wiring up his kitchen remodel

Old ac wiring, I got rid of all but one dedicated ckt that was in good shape because iwas able to cut it back, but for some reason I thought it was dead but was not and when sorting to ground it was arcing but not tripping

The panel is relatively new within the last 10 years GE slim breakers what would cause the brake and not to trip ? I assume a bad path to ground? It also was not tripping when I made it dead short

I opened up the panel and the main seems to be in good shape neutral bonded watermain gec is on good shape etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Since he says a short between hot and neutral will trip the breaker we can assume the ground is not a factor. I would hang my hat on a bad breaker and after that a bad splice or a backstab someplace between the end you have in your hand and the panel. To check for a high resistance splice or connection, connect a large load like an electric heater to the cable (hang a temporary receptacle on the end). Measure the voltage at the receptacle, turn the heater on then measure it again. Any significant voltage drop indicates a bad connection someplace.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.