Breaking into other parts of industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewell

Brand new contractor in CA, we’re mainly doing residential service work with some commercial, but looking to expand. We’ve been using Google local, Nextdoor, Thumbtack and Angie(not much anymore). I want to move into EV charging, but more commercial not really the residential systems. Any ideas, or concerns would be appreciated.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Just my personal opinion, get off Thumbtack, ASAP.
If it works for you, more power to you. Just my opinion.
I've been off it for over 5 years and they still flood my email with leads that I don't want, while keeping my profile buried.

>>> Read the ToS *thoroughly* for any lead service you decide to use and if anything strikes you as odd, bail, as fast as you can! <<<

Thumbtack asked me to submit a copy of my electrical license, which I refused to do because it would have violated the municipality's terms against transference and I found a little phrase in their ToS that says anything I submit, they own, which means my license, any pictures I submit, everything.

Coincidentally, pages started popping up in my name on Pinterest and other sites that I DID NOT manage saying I offered services that I did not offer.
You put those pieces together yourself, lol.

Last edited:

Jerramundi

Occupation
Haven't used the service in over 5 years and this is what I have to sort through on a daily basis to get to the emails that actually matter... :mad:

1656526999906.png

Jerramundi

Occupation
Same issue with Yelp. Profile has been completely hijacked.
Build yourself a website and do actual word of mouth advertising.
Best solution there is because YOU have control over your own website.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Website is alright. I have one but don’t really care about it.
It all depends on we’re you live and the demographics of your town.
I would love to do commercial in my town.
I live in a retirement town it’s only residential.
It’s nice cause the turn over is amazing. ( in 4 years I have been open, I have gone to one house 5 times with 5 different owners cause they all passed on)
Though the commercial is laughable. So I am stuck doing residential.

I would really love
To do industrial since I did that for 6 years before being in this town.

So my point is if you want commercial make sure your area supports that industry and the work will come to you.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Website is alright. I have one but don’t really care about it.
It all depends on we’re you live and the demographics of your town.
Agreed. If you live in a small town, something like word of mouth will serve you much better.
I'm just talking about a personal website as opposed to lead services like the above.
Consider me not a fan. I could vent and tell you exactly what I don't like more so than I already have, but I probably shouldn't.
For all I know, they probably still got some BS contract on me even though I haven't used the service in over 5 years.

Occupation
Industrial Electrician/Electrical Contractor
I have had a lot of success in other parts of the electrical industry that I lack experience in by hiring old tired contractors as consultants. They need to get paid, usually they are sick of the rat race but have loads of contacts and experience. Great way to get a good mentor and learn a lot. As long as you take care of them ($$) they will be more and more open to sharing their experience and networks with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.