Breaking into the business

Status
Not open for further replies.

pep3000

I am seeking to become an electrician. I went down to my local IBEW to find out about the process of obtaining an apprenticeship. Unfortunately, the process will take a YEAR, and I do not have time to wait that long. I want to get into the business as soon as possible, as I am newly married. However, I do not want to just do this process in a "fly by night" sort of way. I want to become a reputable electrician and do things in the right way. Does anyone have any advice for me? How might I shorten the union process? How might I go about becoming an electrician without aide of the union? Please respond to me via my email if this is a topic that cannot be discussed in this forum as I do not want to discuss anything that is not allowed. I thank you all in advance!!
Take Care,
Paul

bphgravity

Re: Breaking into the business

If you indeed wish to be a reputable electrician, then I suggest not taking any short-cuts. Purchase every book you can afford or get your hands on. Go to the library, there are many books there on electrical theory and maybe even a few on application and installation. Look for seminars coming to your area. Many times these seminars are posted at local electrical supply houses.

Call the area contractors and see if any are willing to hire someone for training. Perhaps you can get your foot in the door with a small non-union shop. There are also some pretty good correspondance courses available both online or through the mail.

When all is said and done, you can't really fast-forward experience. Becoming qualified takes time and diligence.

coppertreeelectric

I second that motion. You really need to learn the trade before you should try and go into business. You can learn the science behind electric by reading the books but you won?t learn the practice of being an electrician. Electrical work takes a year to learn but years to master. Most areas require 7 years experience before they will let you take a Master electrician exam to become licensed. As gravity said you should look to companies who will hire helpers, you learn the most by watching others.

In NY we have Vocational schools like Boces that offer many different classes including hands on classes in electrical. I first learned electric in a such class during my High School days.

Long and short: It will take time. Electrical is the highest respected of trades in the construction industry and requires the most amount of ?know how?. There are many codes to know that protect people from fires and injury.

I would defiantly try and find a local company that will let you train while working. If you don?t have any experience in electric then you should expect to do most of the hump and dirty work.

Best of luck with it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Steve

khixxx

I started my electrical adventure in a 2 year trade school that was 8-2:30 5 days a week for about 18 months when i completed the school i was able to pass the journyman exam and was hired directly at journyman wages. How ever i didn't have that get the job done attitude. That came with time. If you do decide to go that route with a full time school and work at night like i did or a Vocational school that you will attend 2 nights a week for 4 years its what you put into it and how hard you study. Its your money. As for the union if you just starting out they would be good. I think they have the best training out there. the union is good and bad. its not my style. I think learning how to read the code book was the hardest part starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.