Briggs generator

Brownetown

Occupation
Electrican
I did a 26kw Briggs generator. For control wire I decided to pull 14awg. As I was done I was reading the Manuel it called for 18awg twisted pair. Do you think there will be any interference?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I did a 26kw Briggs generator. For control wire I decided to pull 14awg. As I was done I was reading the Manuel it called for 18awg twisted pair. Do you think there will be any interference?
Not likely but possible and guaranteed to get the blame if it doesn't operate correctly

Brownetown

Occupation
Electrican
Okay maybe I’ll pull it out and run twisted pair. I was trying to just keep all in one conduit and figured since both was rated for 600v. If I put 300v and 600v wire in same conduit I should
Be good considering service is only 240v correct?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Okay maybe I’ll pull it out and run twisted pair. I was trying to just keep all in one conduit and figured since both was rated for 600v. If I put 300v and 600v wire in same conduit I should
Does Briggs allow power and control in the same raceway?
I assume the 18 awg is control?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could chuck the existing wires in a drill and twist them. If it's not too long or elbow-y, you may be able to twist them in place, perhaps from both ends.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
It is said that, to find the easiest way to do something difficult, one should ask a lazy person. :giggle:

In World War II, they had to train soldiers fast. One of the requirements for Officers screening was to determine with testing whether the Offcer Candidate was "Proactive" or "Non-Proactive". Non-Proactive Officer Candidates made an excellent officer. This is where they developed "IQ" ratings. A "lazy" personality made a great supervisor to delegate the right people that were qualified.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This is one of the questions for screening applicants for Officer Candidates School. You are hiking in the forest on a trail, you come across a fallen tree blocking the trail. What are you going to do, climb over the fallen tree or go around it? Based on this question, who would make a great officer candidate ?

Birken Vogt

All the Briggs I worked on, the extra wires were for some comm function that was optional. Did not even have to be hooked up. They sense 240 volts like Generac to operate. Try it with the pair totally disconnected and see what happens.

Of course, the customer is paying for a proper install so you ought to do what the manual says.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If I put 300v and 600v wire in same conduit I should

No. Then you get into the code issue of running low voltage cable or wire with line voltage. (I have to assume that whatever you intend to use that is 18GA/twisted pair and 300V rated has to be low voltage CL2 cable.)

Since you are willing to pull the 14GA out anyway, either re-use it or replace it and do like Larry said: "chuck the wires in a drill and twist them" then pull them back in.

-Hal