Brilliance of arc flash vs welding arc

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
You can stare at the sun and get some sun spots momentarily that go away in a few moments. This isn't recommended.

If you stare at a welding arc it will damage your eyes--arc eye.

In relation to electrical work, I have read different stories about arc flash that range from nothing happen to temporary blindness (about 10 minutes) to permanent blindness, depending on the intensity of the arc.

So is arc flash just a very powerful burst of the same energy that you see in the welding arc?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
You can stare at the sun and get some sun spots momentarily that go away in a few moments. This isn't recommended.

If you stare at a welding arc it will damage your eyes--arc eye.

In relation to electrical work, I have read different stories about arc flash that range from nothing happen to temporary blindness (about 10 minutes) to permanent blindness, depending on the intensity of the arc.

So is arc flash just a very powerful burst of the same energy that you see in the welding arc?
Not really. "Arc Flash" is a bit of a misleading name for what happens. There are other components to an arc flash event, There is also an explosion from metal being suddenly vaporized. Large magnetic forces are also involved throwing parts and bits around. It's a much more violent thing than just an intense flash of light

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
Yeah, I thought about tiny bits of metal in the sparks.

So is the term arc explosion more accurate (arc flach + arc blast--the forces and sound)?

I did not know about the magnetic forces. Interesting.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Yeah, I thought about tiny bits of metal in the sparks.

So is the term arc explosion more accurate (arc flach + arc blast--the forces and sound)?

I did not know about the magnetic forces. Interesting.
Not just bits of metal. Vaporized metal.