brkr handle tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Occupation
engineer
are circuit breaker handle ties still acceptable, or do I need to replace breaker with multipole common trip brkr?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It depends on what you are doing. Some applications require a "common trip" multi-pole breaker, and a handle tie does not convert multiple single pole breakers into a common trip breaker.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A handle tie assures opening all poles for manual operation.

Automatic opening (tripping) for line loads require common trip.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
are circuit breaker handle ties still acceptable, or do I need to replace breaker with multipole common trip brkr?
As mentioned, it will depend on your application. If you asking about MWBC disconnection requirements see 210.4 and 240.15(B). Handle ties are fine for this.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What specifically requires internal common trip?
Equipment with line to line along with line to neutral, and for line to line loads on circuits with a voltage to ground that exceeds 120 volts. Or in other words, all circuits not covered by 240.15(B)(1) through (4).

Handle ties are permitted for 240 volt line to line loads on a 120/240 volt system and for 208 volt line to line loads on a 208Y/120 volt system. 240.15(B)(2) & (3)
Interesting, I was not aware of that. I never looked closely enough at the wording.

One other general comment on 3 pole handle ties: in applications where they are acceptable, there is quite a bit of cost savings using 3 single poles and a handle tie instead of a 3 pole breaker. Be aware however the Siemens does not make a 3 pole handle tie. I am not sure offhand about GE. Eaton does.

Status
Not open for further replies.