Broken Welder Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sii

I am an electrician at a plastic manufacturer but often must do other things there. Last night I needed to do some welding and when I tried to plug in the welder, I found this:

View attachment 2615

The duct tape was hanging like that when I found it and the breaker was still turned on. Three people regularly work within 15' of this and 20 people within 40', most of which pass very close to this outlet. Upon further investigation, I found out it had been like this for two weeks and, here's the best part: It was a supervisor that broke the face of the outlet off but said nothing to anyone. Two employees witnessed it happen and when they realized it was still like that two days later, they put the duct tape on.

After reporting this to the plant manager, much as I expected, nothing was done. As far as I know, the supervisor was not even spoken to about this let alone disciplined. I would like to know what a typical employer's reaction to this would be.

Especially frustrating after sitting through a 2-hour monthly safety commitee meeting earlier in the day at which the topic which garnered the longest discussion was that open containers of food were left too long in the refrigerator.

Edit: Yes I locked out the breaker.

Last edited:
This sounds familar , i worked at company on 1st shift as a maint.electrician , the electrician on 2nd shift could not fiqure out what was wrong with this machine ..simple fix.(problem ) the machine had a stop/start station ,when you pushed the momentary start button and let it go the machine would stop ,MR. 2ND shift used the end of a broom to hold the button in to keep the machine running...I asked why he did not change out the holding contact on the starter, he said what's a holding contact , duh...he's still working there ,go fiqure...I moved on , ignorance kills me.....................

480sparky

Sounds and looks familiar.

I was told, fortunately, to fix this:

DSC05636a.jpg

DSC05639a.jpg

Last edited:

mxslick

On that welder outlet, luckily no one put enough pressure on that duct tape to break thru the adhesive layer, I think silver duct tape is conductive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.