Brooks Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

batch

A friend failed an inspection because there is no UL listing on the box. I told him to contact the manufacturer for listing info.

Does anyone have any experiences here?

G

Re: Brooks Box

Out here we use Christy Boxes. You might contact Christy to get an outside opinion on Brooks boxes and listing requirements.

info@christyconcrete.com

3_N16_Box_S.gif

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Open bottom handholes are commonly used in the traffic signal and roadway lighting industry, I have installed many. The boxes I used are concrete with a metal lid and frame, and are Washington DOT type. We have a state code that allows their use, as they are not exactly recognized by the nec (there is a 2005 proposal to add to scope of art 314).
Quartize is one mfg that has a listed box. The box does not have to be listed for use, as the AHJ can accept it, see section 110.3. Since its a open bottom box the wiring methods inside have to be suitable for direct burial.

iwire

Staff member

We use the open bottom boxes here and I have taken to putting a PVC junction box inside of the open bottom box.

I turn my underground PVCs up into the bottom of the PVC box.

This gets around any issues with open wiring methods / direct burial conductors , it is cheap and easy.

A small drain hole in the box might be a good idea too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.