Brutal week

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Man it was BRUTAL last week. I spent Tuesday thru Friday near Paris Island, SC. Since we were out of town, we worked 12 hour days. It was over 1,000 feet from the van to the work area, only accessible by foot. Working on a dock, no shade. I'm getting to old for this. I'm just about ready to hang up the tools.

Just venting, no comments required.

cadpoint

Met one GC, he wore a long sleeve's sheat shirt every day of the Summer.
He stated that it was his air conditioner, OK, But I never really saw him break a sweat with a tool in his hand...

I've personally have worked in long tee-shirt all day if in the elements. :cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cadpoint said:
But I never really saw him break a sweat with a tool in his hand...
You never really saw him break a sweat, or you never really saw him with a tool in his hand? :smile:

DesertRat

cadpoint said:
Met one GC, he wore a long sleeve's sheat shirt every day of the Summer.
He stated that it was his air conditioner, OK, But I never really saw him break a sweat with a tool in his hand...

I've personally have worked in long tee-shirt all day if in the elements. :cool:

It seems counterintuitive, but that GC was correct. A long sleeve shirt keeps the sun off of your skin, and slows the evaportaion of moisture. One caveat though, make sure it's a light colored shirt.

hardworkingstiff

DesertRat said:
It seems counterintuitive, but that GC was correct. A long sleeve shirt keeps the sun off of your skin, and slows the evaportaion of moisture. One caveat though, make sure it's a light colored shirt.

Isn't the evaporation the cooling effect on the body? If you slow it, doesn't it slow the cooling effect? I can see the light colored shirt helping deflect some sun rays which might slow the heating effect?

emahler

hardworkingstiff said:
Isn't the evaporation the cooling effect on the body? If you slow it, doesn't it slow the cooling effect? I can see the light colored shirt helping deflect some sun rays which might slow the heating effect?

the body evaporates, but the shirt catches it. if there is a wind it becomes a primitive swamp cooler. otherwise it helps keep the body from drying up.

satcom

emahler said:
the body evaporates, but the shirt catches it. if there is a wind it becomes a primitive swamp cooler. otherwise it helps keep the body from drying up.

I guess you would know, all week at the country club, and weekends on the party boat, can wear a guy down in these temps.

emahler

satcom said:
I guess you would know, all week at the country club, and weekends on the party boat, can wear a guy down in these temps.

from your lips to gods ears...i wish that were the case...

memyselfandI

hardworkingstiff said:
Man it was BRUTAL last week. I spent Tuesday thru Friday near Paris Island, SC. Since we were out of town, we worked 12 hour days. It was over 1,000 feet from the van to the work area, only accessible by foot. Working on a dock, no shade. I'm getting to old for this. I'm just about ready to hang up the tools.

Just venting, no comments required.
I spent sometime in P.I. myself back in the early 80's. Ah yes I remember it well. Some big narly D.I. with bad breath screaming at you from the time you get up till the time you go to bed, sand fleas munchin on you while you were mountain climbing in the "PIT", marching in 100 Deg heat. Only one way on and one way off that island. "Sniff" ah yes memories. :)

Semper Fi

360Youth

hardworkingstiff said:
I'm just about ready to hang up the tools.

I have that same feeling after weeks like this. I'm a few hours north of you and my biggest question is how do the roofers and pavers deal with it. Stay cool and stay at it. It won't be long before we are complaining about the cold.:D

macmikeman

Me, I think I would have to fall off that dock about once an hour or so during the heat of the day if you know what I mean.:roll: By the way here is a surfer's tip, keep two of the two gallon milk jugs full of fresh water in the van during summer months to rinse off the salt water after you accidentally fall in , and good in case of vehicle overheating, which is also pretty prevelant when the temps get up like you guys are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.