Bubble Cover for Generator E-Stop

brmgp1

Hey Guys,

I'm an engineer (not a field guy) coming in peace. We have a generator e-stop per NEC 445.18(B) located on a loading dock, and the owner (school district) is concerned the button may get inadvertently pressed. They want to see a plastic bubble cover or similar protection around it.

I'm struggling to specify a specific product, since there's no backbox to mount to. Anyone have any ideas that may work in this scenario? Appreciate any thoughts you have.

CU3C0U7.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

What's more important, or more likely, needing to hit it quickly or not hitting it accidentally?

Are there rules against such a barrier?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As mentioned we always use a break glass type switch for an E-stop. Although it may be code compliant IMO the one in the photo is not suitable for this type of installation.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know of some generators like Generac, if you push the E-stop then reset it you will have to go into the control panel and reset it manually.

Locating it maybe key to avoid being inadvertently pushed in.

brmgp1

Thank you everyone.

@LarryFine ... NEC 445.18(B) appears to treat this as a traditional disconnecting means. Even with a lockable bubble cover (I advised against a locking mechanism) this would still be considered readily accessible. I do not prefer this additional cover but the customer definitely wants it.

@ron ... Thank you for sending this over, there are some great products. It looks like there are some covers that have accessories such as backplates that would help with mounting the cover directly onto the brick. It seems like the covers would only accommodate conduits up to 3/4" but I believe the photo is showing a 1" or larger, I will confirm. I see no reason why they can't reduce to 3/4" here

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know of some generators like Generac, if you push the E-stop then reset it you will have to go into the control panel and reset it manually.

Locating it maybe key to avoid being inadvertently pushed in.
Hey Guys,

I'm an engineer (not a field guy) coming in peace. We have a generator e-stop per NEC 445.18(B) located on a loading dock, and the owner (school district) is concerned the button may get inadvertently pressed. They want to see a plastic bubble cover or similar protection around it.

I'm struggling to specify a specific product, since there's no backbox to mount to. Anyone have any ideas that may work in this scenario? Appreciate any thoughts you have.

CU3C0U7.jpg
I raised the same question to my inspector after installing a 30KW Kohler generator for a fire pump. Code requires the E-stop but my thought was why should this be required for a fire pump? Who cares if the pump is burning up. Someone passing by could disable generator and if needed it work won't do it's job IMHO.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It can’t be pushed in because it’s already pushed in. It has a normally open, held closed contact. When the glass is broken, the button pops out, and shuts down the generator.
I don't see any break glass in the photo in the OP which is why I suggested using a break glass type switch. Any e-stop switch that can be inadvertently pushed which may keep an automatic generator from starting should not be used.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I don't see any break glass in the photo in the OP which is why I suggested using a break glass type switch. Any e-stop switch that can be inadvertently pushed which may keep an automatic generator from starting should not be used.
Yeah, it’s not a very good picture, but that’s what the hammer in the picture is for to break the glass. 😁 Oh! You meant the op’s picture, not the one I posted!

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any e-stop switch that can be inadvertently pushed which may keep an automatic generator from starting should not be used.
Especially in my installation of a fire pump that's inclosed in a shed type building away from the protected bldg with a remote generator on the property.

kwired

Electron manager
As mentioned we always use a break glass type switch for an E-stop. Although it may be code compliant IMO the one in the photo is not suitable for this type of installation.
Food production facilities tend to not want glass in the facility. Even in non production areas they can be picky about this.