bubble cover under covered porch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I failed inspection for a GFI protected outlet under a large overhang roof covering a deck not covered by a bubble/ accordion type cover . The outlet is covered by a weatherproof flip cover. Water couldn't touch it unless a rare driving storm. Is he right? Permit is 2014-15

HR...

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
I failed inspection for a GFI protected outlet under a large overhang roof covering a deck not covered by a bubble/ accordion type cover . The outlet is covered by a weatherproof flip cover. Water couldn't touch it unless a rare driving storm. Is he right? Permit is 2014-15

HR...

There isn't really a hard and fast definition of damp or wet locations. It's left up to the AHJ to make that determination on a case by case basis. I don't know if he's "right", but it's his call to make. I'm afraid you'll probably need bubble covers.

kwired

Electron manager
There isn't really a hard and fast definition of damp or wet locations. It's left up to the AHJ to make that determination on a case by case basis. I don't know if he's "right", but it's his call to make. I'm afraid you'll probably need bubble covers.
I have to agree with this. Some places may have their own written rule that is more specific but NEC alone leaves some of these spaces somewhat undetermined if they should be wet or damp locations, some covered porches may even be dry, 99.99% of the time but many will say they need to be considered damp anyway.

JFletcher

HR...

406.8(B), and under VA IRC E4002.8, your receptacle would only need and in use not a bubble cover. Inspector would be incorrect here.

howardrichman

406.8(B), and under VA IRC E4002.8, your receptacle would only need and in use not a bubble cover. Inspector would be incorrect here.

That's right! that's what I had installed. it was a in use single flip latch type cover. already changed it to get my inspection. Next time I'll charge the customer for the accordion type listed cover.

HR..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Article 100 definition of locations, damp includes under overhangs. Doesn't seem like the inspector read that part.

kwired

Electron manager
The Article 100 definition of locations, damp includes under overhangs. Doesn't seem like the inspector read that part.
There is still room for interpretation differences in what is printed.

How much overhang is necessary to call it damp instead of wet?

How far below the overhang is considered protected from the weather?

How frequently does a particular location see nearly horizontally moving rain?

I've seen places that consider a line running 45degrees from the edge of overhang as the boundary line between wet and damp locations.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I've seen places that consider a line running 45degrees from the edge of overhang as the boundary line between wet and damp locations.

True, if it were in the overhang itself then it's a damp location so no interpretation needed.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC

I agree and that's how it's viewed around here. The 45 degree rule of thumb is prevalent up here as well. As Infinity pointed out, if it's mounted IN the overhang, like a soffit receptacle, then it's a damp location. The OP didn't specify exactly where the receptacle was located in respect to the overhang and how big the overhang actually is. I'm sticking with my original answer until the OP provides more info.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Under overhangs is only stated as an example in the unenforceable Informational Note.

406.9, whic is enforceable, expands on its named outdoor locations by stating the receptacle will also not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Under overhangs is only stated as an example in the unenforceable Informational Note.

406.9, whic is enforceable, expands on its named outdoor locations by stating the receptacle will also not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff.

Yes it's not enforceable but it's in an IN for a reason, it provides an example just in case you cannot understand the Article 100 definition. :roll:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes it's not enforceable but it's in an IN for a reason, it provides an example just in case you cannot understand the Article 100 definition. :roll:
What I'm saying is there's no point to calling it out in the definition (for this particular case) when 406.9 essentially names the same location, which is enforceable... but the qualification conditions are more refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.