Bubble covers outdoor pavilion/kitchenette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmfly

Occupation
Electrician
Hey all, I’m finishing up a outdoor pavilion/kitchen area do I have to use bubble covers to be code compliant? It is open on all four sides to the elements

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If the inspector thinks weather could blow in on it he probably would require it. That's the way it's looked at here. Might be worth a phone call, or just put em on. Unless there are a ton of them it wouldn't be much more than the "flapper" covers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In use style covers would be required if it's a wet location. If it's a damp location a spring type cover is permitted.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, the lower one is not in a wet location but Rob is probably correct as the inspector will see it that way. Personally I don't see how water will get in there. Perhaps once in a blue moon you may get a blowing rain that may come close.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not
subject to saturation with wate
r or other liquids but subject to
moderate degrees of moisture. (CMP-1)
Informational Note: Examples of such locations include partially
protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open
porches, and like locations,
and interior locations subject to
moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some
barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

IMO, the lower one is not in a wet location but Rob is probably correct as the inspector will see it that way. Personally I don't see how water will get in there. Perhaps once in a blue moon you may get a blowing rain that may come close.

Yup. Bubble covers are a silly code requirement anyways, because if they actually get used the outer cover gets removed or snapped off anyways. Other than the rugged metal ones, I've never seen them actually used and in 1 piece.

kwired

Electron manager
How many of us actually encounter an "in use" cover that is actually fully closed while in use, other than if we were the person that closed it?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Arlington is making a nice compromise. Arligton In Box. No bubble, is flush mount and has In-Use cover.

1659965393752.png

retirede

IMO, the old style flap covers are safer in the long run than bubble covers. Bubble covers are rarely used properly and often get broken off, leaving the receptacle permanently exposed to the elements.

retirede

Arlington is making a nice compromise. Arligton In Box. No bubble, is flush mount and has In-Use cover.

View attachment 2561684

Those were installed on my daughter’s new house 9 years ago. The covers are cheap. One has already been broken off. But even with the missing cover, the receptacle is still pretty well protected for the elements. And they do look a heck of a lot better than a bubble cover.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

View attachment 2561684

The first time I use that style that was made for brick the cover was broken half way thru the job. Good thing the masons were still there. It wasn't the cover that got broken but the little white nubs on the side. Once they are gone you are out of luck.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yup. Bubble covers are a silly code requirement anyways, because if they actually get used the outer cover gets removed or snapped off anyways. Other than the rugged metal ones, I've never seen them actually used and in 1 piece.
I worked for a shop whose owner refused to use the plastic ones. He wanted only the metal ones because they were more rugged.

The problem is common there's no give on the metal ones. The plastic ones flex.

It's just anecdotal evidence, but from my experience the plastic ones hold up much better

kwired

Electron manager

View attachment 2561684
They are nice, can't seem to get them lately.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
When they hose the area down to clean with with a power washer! :LOL:

I like the Arlington IN Boxes. I take the door off to wire them. Metal ones are harder to remove the door to wire them.;)

Nib broken off, use a screw and Nylock.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I think the in-use covers and "wet" location is kinda a bad mix (w/o exceptions to be had).

Many of the bubble in-use covers can be just as "dangerous" as a flip-up spring type, all depends on if the user actually closes the in-use cover. Most don't even know how to break out the plastic pieces so the cover can be closed on a cord.

The plastic bubble covers also often break off over time, they get brittle, and then nobody wants to replace the cover.

They all need GFCI, yes?

Pros & Cons.

kwired

Electron manager
When they hose the area down to clean with with a power washer! :LOL:

I like the Arlington IN Boxes. I take the door off to wire them. Metal ones are harder to remove the door to wire them.;)

Nib broken off, use a screw and Nylock.
power washers are good at penetrating things that are otherwise considered water tight at times.

If something is regularly washed (high pressure or not) it very well may be deemed a wet location - like maybe a food production plant.

Otherwise a "dry location" by NEC definition can still temporarily be wet at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.