Buck Boost site distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdping2

I have a new housing tract going in and the owner wants me to install an overhead network for construction power only - 10 new homesites- I have 200 amps available at 120/240 single phase. Each home site will have a 120/240 125 amp loadcenter with 1 - 50 amp 2 pole breaker which feeds a 50 amp single phase locking receptacle for spider box powern . there is 1,400 feet of total overhead wire to be installed, owner has surplus 4/0 alumuminum triplex that we will be using, he has nothing smaller , so we will be installing the 4/0 at end of run as well
question - I know that I wont need to calculate continuor load for each 50 amp receptacle, but thats about all I know- viltage drop is 9.02" - which leaves 218.36 volts- do I need a buck boost transformer?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Buck boost transformers should typically not be used to compensate for voltage drop caused by variable loading. During periods of light loading they may boost the voltage above the normal voltage.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I agree with Jim that a buck boost will do nothing for the amount of voltage drop variation, and may even increase it a small amount because of the transformer's impedance. The only thing it might help with is to center the voltage so that it would be at the high end of the acceptable range near the transformer end of the line, and then you'd have to live with the voltage drop after that point.

jdping2

Seems like a hassle, in addition to not being practical. Why not just get the electrical infrastructure in and throw something temp off of that?
Seems like a hassle, in addition to not being practical. Why not just get the electrical infrastructure in and throw something temp off of that?
Three - words for you - Pacific Gas & Electric - Owner has gone through all engineering and paid all utility fees AS OF May 2020- PG&E will not be installing secondary conductors to the homes until the week of 7-13-2022. Project will be substantially complete LESS Gas & Electric utility service on 3-9-2022- you can not belive how screwed up our local utility company is.................

Three - words for you - Pacific Gas & Electric - Owner has gone through all engineering and paid all utility fees AS OF May 2020- PG&E will not be installing secondary conductors to the homes until the week of 7-13-2022. Project will be substantially complete LESS Gas & Electric utility service on 3-9-2022- you can not belive how screwed up our local utility company is.................

Bummer. Yeah I had a service that Seattle city light took almost a year to hook up. All they needed to do was put a new 3 phase bank on an existing pole and run a service drop. Another one, I tried for 6 months to get a disconnect/reconnect to change a 1000 amp panelboard. Couldn't wait any longer, Gave up and did it live.

Status
Not open for further replies.