Buck Boost transformer neutral

dbaryl

New User
Occupation
Journeyman Commercial electrician
Hi,

I have a 3 phase, 480Y/277V panel and a 3 phase, 208Y/120V panel available to me.

I need 240V, 2 Hots with a Neutral.

What is my best option, with a buck/boost transformer. I'm thinking 208v to 236v, and pass thru with the neutral straight to my load. Is this correct?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi,

I have a 3 phase, 480Y/277V panel and a 3 phase, 208Y/120V panel available to me.

I need 240V, 2 Hots with a Neutral.

What is my best option, with a buck/boost transformer. I'm thinking 208v to 236v, and pass thru with the neutral straight to my load. Is this correct?
You would end up with 236 V L-L and 136 V L-N.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As @petersonra describes, with a standard buck/boost arrangement on 208V, you won't get your desired balanced 120V to neutral.

With the standard arrangement one leg will be 120V to neutral, but the other leg will be much more than 120V to neutral and the phasing is wrong for a true 120/240V supply.

Best bet is a single phase transformer, eg a 480:120/240V transformer or a 208:120/240V transformer fed from the respective panel.

Jon

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You can with an open delta buck/boost, but you will have only one leg that is 120 volts, so it will be tricky to find which leg on the equipment needs 120, and if more than one leg needs 120, your out of luck.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just read it again, the op is needing single phase, so just one transformer, but same situation, only one leg will be 120. As others have posted, better off with single phase 120/240 transformer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From a previous thread:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
With the standard arrangement one leg will be 120V to neutral, but the other leg will be much more than 120V to neutral and the phasing is wrong for a true 120/240V supply.
Exactly. It boosts one leg to 158v, and the other leg simply feeds 120v through the terminal

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What if:

Some time ago, I suggested that, if you select a unit so the secondaries will be connected in series, they could be wired to opposite ends of the primary, maintaining equal voltages to the neutral.
For example, looking at the boost diagram below, separate the secondaries and wire X3-X4 to the H4 end, and X1-X2 to the H1 end.

1642871509089.png

In other words, wire it like you would an open-delta setup, but with only one transformer, and no neutral connection to the transformer.
It would basically look like this diagram, but with one winding in each place where this diagram shows two (and there would be no "neutral" or B phase connection to the unit):

1642872083037.png

A 240v primary with a 12/24v secondary on 208v will develop a 20.8v boost, for a 228.8v output.

A 16/32v secondary on 208v will develop a 27.7v boost, for a 235.7v output. (all numbers theoretical).

What makes my suggestion "radical" is splitting up the secondaries to maintain equal L-N voltages.

I don't know why B-B transformer makers don't suggest this. Maybe we should ask if it's a good idea.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
A 16/32v secondary on 208v will develop a 27.7v boost, for a 235.7v output. (all numbers theoretical).

What makes my suggestion "radical" is splitting up the secondaries to maintain equal L-N voltages.

IMHO your proposal works but is generally of little utility. It maintains equal L-N voltages, but produces weird L-N voltages that would not be useful if L-N voltage matters.

In the example you give, where a 240:16/32V transformer is used to boost 208V to 235.7V, you get L-N voltages of 132.2V. This might be low enough for a device expecting 120V L-N, but it is excessive.

If you actually need 120/240V single phase, then all of the autotransformer arrangements get complex and give at best a factor of 2 improvement in transformer kVA. At which point it is probably simpler to use a normal isolation transformer.

A useful suggestion to keep in your pocket for when L-N balance matters but exact L-N voltage is not relevant.

-Jon

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the example you give, where a 240:16/32V transformer is used to boost 208V to 235.7V, you get L-N voltages of 132.2V. This might be low enough for a device expecting 120V L-N, but it is excessive.
Wouldn't it be half of 235.7, or 117.85? I'm using the transformer CT as my reference, not the source neutral.

I know there would be a voltage between the two, because the center of two lines is not the center of the wye.

What would the L-N voltage be if you used the 12/24v configuration for the 228.8v L-L output as I described?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Wouldn't it be half of 235.7, or 117.85? I'm using the transformer CT as my reference, not the source neutral.

I know there would be a voltage between the two, because the center of two lines is not the center of the wye.

What would the L-N voltage be if you used the 12/24v configuration for the 228.8v L-L output as I described?
Don't forget the 120/208V exists because your source would be an open Wye (remember a phase shift is involved) not because you are taking the center point of a winding.
If you could find the perfect 208:240 buck-boost arrangement, you would still have an open wye of 136/240.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you use the center tap as your voltage reference, then yes, the voltage is half of the total.
Exactly. Equipment is designed with the expectation that if the neutral is used as a circuit conductor, it is also a grounded conductor. In your proposed setup, the center tap 'neutral' is very much not grounded. The importance of this elevated neutral voltage depends heavily on how the equipment is designed. I wouldn't want an elevated neutral voltage on a screw shell lamp, for example.

I get 129.1V

-Jon