Bucket truck and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanK

Occupation
fibre optic installer
Hey, my boss is going to get new bucket trucks but due to lack of budget he is going to buy second hand if I understand correctly. I doubt about the reliability of this type of second-hand machine. Is there any regular inspection to make sure that everything is working? Is it my boss who has to do the check or me as the future user of the bucket truck? I would like to point out that we will be using them to install fibre optics within a 50km radius of the main town.

I checked this article quickly but if anyone has any other, perhaps more reliable, sources I'm interested.

https://www.klubb.com/en/faq/how-the-pre-inspection-of-an-aerial-work-platform-is-carried-out

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Do either you or your boss know how to inspect such a machine?

If not, someone who is qualified to do the inspection is going to have to teach you. Someone who is qualified is also going to have to train you on how to use the machine.

I think as the user of the machine it's in your best interest to make sure you're properly trained on how to both use and inspect it prior to use. It is also in your best interest to inspect the machine before you use it to make sure it is safe.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hey, my boss is going to get new bucket trucks but due to lack of budget he is going to buy second hand if I understand correctly. I doubt about the reliability of this type of second-hand machine. Is there any regular inspection to make sure that everything is working? Is it my boss who has to do the check or me as the future user of the bucket truck? I would like to point out that we will be using them to install fibre optics within a 50km radius of the main town.

I checked this article quickly but if anyone has any other, perhaps more reliable, sources I'm interested.

https://www.klubb.com/en/faq/how-the-pre-inspection-of-an-aerial-work-platform-is-carried-out
Who had it?
generally if it is a utility bucket, it’s changed out on miles or years rather than true condition of the bucket.
Ours are inspected and tested (dielectric) yearly by an outside company.
When you check the bucket out, always fly the bucket from the lower controls to check it out first. Never just jump in and go up. You could be stuck up there.
I

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
You will need to put together a preventative maintenance program for this equipment (even if it was brand new). The manual should tell you everything you need to check and how often. The daily user will typically do a before-use inspection checklist, while a maintenance tech should do the PM based on time or hours.

AlanK

Occupation
fibre optic installer
Do either you or your boss know how to inspect such a machine?

If not, someone who is qualified to do the inspection is going to have to teach you. Someone who is qualified is also going to have to train you on how to use the machine.

I think as the user of the machine it's in your best interest to make sure you're properly trained on how to both use and inspect it prior to use. It is also in your best interest to inspect the machine before you use it to make sure it is safe.
I may have misspoken, I meant that I was already using a cherry picker but how can I put it... as long as my boss thought it was OK to work in such and such a condition then we did it. But since we were working on new vehicles, we thought that we wouldn't have any problems (we still wear harnesses and helmets, we're not crazy either). But now that we're using second-hand aerial platforms, we're starting (well, especially me) to be more hesitant.

I'm not sure my boss will want to pay someone but I can try to get some training yes. It's in my interest and that of my colleagues.

Thank you for your feedback Peter

AlanK

Occupation
fibre optic installer
Who had it?
generally if it is a utility bucket, it’s changed out on miles or years rather than true condition of the bucket.
Ours are inspected and tested (dielectric) yearly by an outside company.
When you check the bucket out, always fly the bucket from the lower controls to check it out first. Never just jump in and go up. You could be stuck up there.
I
I imagine that the inspection is as much about the basket as the arm or the vehicle itself. Once a year so for the inspection at your place ok it's noted.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I imagine that the inspection is as much about the basket as the arm or the vehicle itself. Once a year so for the inspection at your place ok it's noted.
The buckets are dielectric tested.
for fiber optic installation this wouldnt be necessary unless your installing something like ADSS in a hot zone.
the boom and other areas are structurally tested with weights, with all bolts being checked for deformity, cracking, or other signs of stress.

the vehicle itself goes through normal vehicle inspections.

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Agree 100% with "Hv&Lv". Your boss is obliged to be in compliance with H&S. Those rules will dictate what must be done in terms of training and equipment maintenance.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It’s best to lease one, then the leasing company is responsible for a good chunk of the inspections, you still will have routine checks, and if it’s under DOT, the truck itself will need daily inspections. If it is under DOT, do you have a CDL certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.