Budget - Commercial Project

Jimmy7

Occupation
Electrician
I have been asked to look at drawings for a proposed commercial project in order to see if it is possible to bring the cost of the electrical down. I’m not bidding this project, I was just asked to look at it in order to help the designer. The building has classrooms, office space, and a small gym. What do you look for when to comes to decreasing a budget if you had to? I’m guessing if you were to switch from copper to aluminum on the service and feeders. Any other suggestions?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have been asked to look at drawings for a proposed commercial project in order to see if it is possible to bring the cost of the electrical down. I’m not bidding this project, I was just asked to look at it in order to help the designer. The building has classrooms, office space, and a small gym. What do you look for when to comes to decreasing a budget if you had to? I’m guessing if you were to switch from copper to aluminum on the service and feeders. Any other suggestions?
Without seeing why prices are where they are, it isn't really possible to help you. However, series rating gear, MC, free air cabling, free air fire alarm, generic fire alarm in lieu of proprietary, modular wiring system in the gym for lighting, all come to mind.

MyCleveland

Why would you spend time on this if you don't get a chance to land the job?

First thought if why aren't the bidders asked to provide VE suggestions?

Check for ONE-NAME spec items....ltg, gear, etc.
Is the designer asking EC to provide SCC calcs? Break out this cost and tell owner to have his EE of record to provide this.
Get your ltg rep to see if any money can be captured in the controls or dimming packages.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Without knowing more specifics it is hard to help you. AL wire is always a good place to start as is getting rid of EMT or rigid in favor of mc if that is possible.

I would be looking really close at things like panelboards. Depending on how much your supplier hates you there can be some big differences in cost between brands. And there might be some opportunities to shuffle things a bit and get rid of some cost.

Don't let the drawings force you into making expensive choices. If there is money to be saved make it clear to whomever is asking for this review that some of the excess cost is due to the design and the design needs fixing if they want cost reductions.

There is often a crap ton of money wasted on expensive lights when less costly stuff will work adequately. Dimmers are a good thing to eliminate to save money.

You need to be ruthless about it though. Just because you like something or like the supplier is not a good reason to keep it in place if there is a cost effective alternative.

Get rid of anything that is above code unless they need it for some reason.

In lieu of putting wiring in the walls consider a chase instead. It might look funny but good looks can cost money.

1. Aluminum MC for feeders and larger Branch circuits instead of pipe and wire.

2. Skip the wire EGC if that's spec'd

3. If fixtures are spec'd make sure they're not super pricey.

4. Look for masturbatory things like ridiculous grounding and bonding stuff and things like switchboards with fusible switches when panel boards could have been used.

5. Look for dumb specs like no multi wire Branch circuits, minimum Pipe or wire size, solid conductors.