Budgeting for Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for sources on how to budget for electrical usage charges. A coworker has kids in a private school and they are about to open a new math and science building. Their finance people are trying to figure out the best way to add the electricity charges into the annual budget. I suggested they get the plans and do the math. They said they are looking for something more generic as a starting point . I think what they would really like is a rough estimate by square footage.

So how about it. Anyone have suggestions on methods or links to help figure this out? Is this something you commercial EC's out there would consider as part of your standard services and they should check in with the contractor?

Thanks for your input.

BAHTAH

Budget

Budget

When you say "about to open" I would assume the service size has been determined and a load calc was done. I would suggest checking with the local utility as they may be aware or a building that is about the same size and usage as the one you describe and may be able to give you a budget figure. Even with a larger school you may be able to come up with an idea based on sq footage and apply it to your building.

iwire

Staff member
IMHO using the load calc will result in a greatly inflated estimate.

If they already have other open and operating school buildings figure the costs for those per sq ft and apply that to the new building. Even that may come in kind of high as new buildings are usually more energy efficient then old.

bob

The utility should be able to give you an estimate. The major users are the
A/C, Heat and lights. Add something extra for the cooking and WH if applicable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
IMHO using the load calc will result in a greatly inflated estimate.
You're right, my response was too simplistic. I meant that the information compiled for a calc would include the information needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.