Building fed by branch ckt

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
If a building is fed by one branch circuit then grounding electrode system is not required NEC 2014 section 250.32 exceptions. However phase conductors, neutral conductor along with equipment grounding conductor is required to be brought to the building. Their would NOT be neutral to ground bond at the building.

In the event of over voltage or lighting strike if building has steel what would happen since no grounding electrode system is needed. So if the building has building steel then it would not be required to be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor at all?

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
So if the building has building steel then it would not be required to be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor at all?

This doesn’t completely answer your question(s), but keep in mind that the requirement to bond together together all the metal parts to the EGC likely to be energized isn’t the same as needing or not needing a GES for a remote structure. Whether or not you have GES (grounding electrode system) doesn’t mean you don’t have to properly bond where appropriate, and a lot of times things will be electrically connected/bonded by the way equipment is fastened.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the event of over voltage or lighting strike if building has steel what would happen since no grounding electrode system is needed. So if the building has building steel then it would not be required to be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor at all?
If there is a fault or lightning concern, you're certainly allowed to install an electrode system; I probably would do so and bond.

Bwas

I have learned that its best to give the inspector whatever he wants in this situation. That code section changes in every NEC and each inspector seems to want something different.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have learned that its best to give the inspector whatever he wants in this situation. That code section changes in every NEC and each inspector seems to want something different.

How often has this code section changed? An why cave to an inspector if he's wrong?

Bwas

How often has this code section changed? An why cave to an inspector if he's wrong?
It only changes when they issue a new version of the NEC. As far as the inspectors go, the changes based on version of code are minor and this particular item just isnt worth arguing over. I don't like it but I have decided just to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.