Bulbs for 4" housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does there seem to be excessive space between the bulb and the trim here? This is far from my first rodeo with 4" cans, but I just don't remember them looking like this. Do par20's come in different diameters?

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_124440.jpg
    IMG_20230326_124440.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 13
I'm guessing it's a standard base?
It looks lije there's not a lot of angle in the baffle. Seems that normally the bulb sits higher up in the trim

You might try a short neck style

Ok good idea James. I also noticed a 30 short is the same length as a standard 20, so I might see if that fits.....

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Is it just me or does there seem to be excessive space between the bulb and the trim here? ...
Looks to me like there's barely adequate space for getting your fingers in there to change the bulb.

Admittedly, that was a lot more important when only incandescent bulbs were available, but industry has a way of clinging to things that are no longer relevant -- the fixture biz continues manufacturing the same fixtures, the lamp biz makes long-life LED bulbs in the same format as the old bulbs, and nobody ever contemplates the original requirements for the original designs.

I would like to respect our difference in opinion, as I've always appreciated your posts on here and valued your input. But I think modern times dictates that we now have to hate each other. Such a shame.
Well I have several reasons.

1. A bulb is cheaper and easier to change if I get unsatisfactory dimming and/or noise

2. LED bulbs are probably not any easier to "match up" in the future than all in one units, but again they are cheaper and easier to change out of you've got to do a room to avoid mismatch.

3. I like the increased flexibility of beam angle, bulb depth, bulb shape, etc

4. I kinda despise disposable stuff. Granted an LED bulb probably doesn't have much less material than an all in one.

Are you sure we can't still be friends?😿

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Any reason not to go with an LED retro, like the CRT Series, or similar?
Next year or three down the road, you won't find the same trims available. Now if you have half a dozen in your space, you get to have one odd ball, or you pitch 5 perfectly good fixtures to keep them all the same. No thanks.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Next year or three down the road, you won't find the same trims available. Now if you have half a dozen in your space, you get to have one odd ball, or you pitch 5 perfectly good fixtures to keep them all the same. No thanks.
Same thing has happened to me with bulbs, too.

Found the exact bulbs with the Kelvin temperature and beam angle. About a year and a half later the bulbs were no longer made.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Same thing has happened to me with bulbs, too.

Found the exact bulbs with the Kelvin temperature and beam angle. About a year and a half later the bulbs were no longer made.
Hmmm, I'm not sure which would annoy me more.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Bulbs and trims have both been a major irritation to me. A particular case was a really nice couple I worked for. Budget was tight & they bought only what they could pay for. Installed the trims the bought & needed another a year later. No deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.