Bulbs keep burning out!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike33

I'm having a problem with a chandelier that is going through bulbs very quickly.

The first batch was Satco 60watt G16.5. Than I realized the box said to "burn base down" which these don't.

The second batch was Bulbrite 60watt G16.5 that say they can burn in either direction.

After these started to fail within a week or two, I tried Satco 40watt G16.5 thinking heat may be an issue. These didn't last long either. So now I have installed all new 5watt LED bulbs and one failed in 3 days and another is getting very foggy.

The chandelier has three sections with two bulbs in each. All 6 bulbs are in the base up position. One wire goes from the canopy to the center section then splits off to both ends. I believe all of the sockets have been affected. This is controlled by a dimmer and is on most hours of the day. I am getting 119volts at the sockets. Should I try removing and inspecting the sockets?

IMG_4882.jpg IMG_5357.jpg IMG_5362.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Heat. LED a not tolerated totally enclosed fixturw
Heat can affect both LED and incandescent, just in different ways.
I would not call that fixture totally enclosed, but some sort of air circulation slots or holes in or near the top plate would certainly help. (If done the easiest way, it would result in light spots coming out the top, so some sort of baffle may be needed.)
A measurement of the air temp inside the top of the fixture bell will tell the tale on that. The LEDs will generate less heat, but the drivers are located right in the area of greatest heat. A mixture of incan and LED in the same socket pair would be very bad for the LED.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Heat can affect both LED and incandescent, just in different ways.
I would not call that fixture totally enclosed, but some sort of air circulation slots or holes in or near the top plate would certainly help. (If done the easiest way, it would result in light spots coming out the top, so some sort of baffle may be needed.)
A measurement of the air temp inside the top of the fixture bell will tell the tale on that. The LEDs will generate less heat, but the drivers are located right in the area of greatest heat. A mixture of incan and LED in the same socket pair would be very bad for the LED.

On my Droid it looked like those were globes of a fixture enclosing the entire LED. Wrong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.