Bull Rail de-rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainta

I'm designing a bull rail with 22 GFCI outlets on individual circuits fed from a power pack XFMR. This means I will have 22 hots, 8 neutrals and 1 ground. According to NEC table 310.15(B)(2)(a) I must de-rate the ampacity of my current carrying wires by 45%. This forces me to use #8AWG wire and, therefore, 2" conduit. I would think on a bull rail this wouldn't apply or there is something in the code that addresses this. All I have heard from electricians is that they just break the code and use #12AWG wires. Does anyone have any idea on this one?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Bull Rail de-rating

Originally posted by cainta:
Does anyone have any idea on this one?
Yes, do not run them all in one pipe.

Seriously, consider running three or four 3/4" raceways spread out over the length of the 'bull rail' whatever the heck that is. :)

cainta

(Maybe 'bull rail' is just an Alaskan term, it is used in parking lots to plug vehicle engine blocks in to keep the oil warm in sub-freezing temperatures.)That is how I decided to design it to comply with NEC by using (2) 1-1/2" conduits and everyone that saw this design thought I was crazy.

iwire

Staff member

(Maybe 'bull rail' is just an Alaskan term, it is used in parking lots to plug vehicle engine blocks in to keep the oil warm in sub-freezing temperatures.)
Why, does it get cold there? :D

That makes sense.

That is how I decided to design it to comply with NEC by using (2) 1-1/2" conduits and everyone that saw this design thought I was crazy.
The 'magic' number is usually no more than 9 current carrying conductors per raceway before you have to up size the wire.

If you use 10 AWG and three raceways you will be in good shape.

Hey you might be able to take advantage of the temperature correction factor below 310.16 that lets you up rate the wire by 1.05.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by iwire: Hey you might be able to take advantage of the temperature correction factor below 310.16 that lets you up rate the wire by 1.05.
You really don't want to open that can of worms, do you? :eek:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

For those who wonder about my "can of worms" reference, consider this: If the temperature in Alaska is below 60 for most of the year, but it goes above 78 for a couple of hourse on one or two days a year, do you lose your ability to apply the 1.05 "up-rating" factor?

sheldon_ace

Originally posted by charlie b:
For those who wonder about my "can of worms" reference, consider this: If the temperature in Alaska is below 60 for most of the year, but it goes above 78 for a couple of hourse on one or two days a year, do you lose your ability to apply the 1.05 "up-rating" factor?
By the rules "yes", by using common sense "no". Thats like calling a receptacle that someone might plug a temporary appliance that draws 16.5 amps for three and a half hours and consider it a "continuous load". ;)

websparky

Just because the receptacle is rated at 20A doesn't mean the load is 20A. What would be wrong with 12AWG if the load was 13A? What if you used 10AWG and the load was 20A? :) :confused:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Dave,
Just because the receptacle is rated at 20A doesn't mean the load is 20A. What would be wrong with 12AWG if the load was 13A?
Yes, but if you have to derate below 20A for the #12, then you can't use a 20A OCPD.
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Okay, next question: What is the current consumption of a typical blcok heater? There may not need to be that many (22) circuits.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Posted by Charlie B:

If it is 78 out, nobody will need the block heaters, and even if they plugged them in, I would think thermostats would keep them from actually drawing a load.

Posted by LarryFine:

Okay, next question: What is the current consumption of a typical blcok heater?
I think block heaters do draw a pretty large load. Just taking a guess, it might be 1500W. But I am just guessing. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

[ October 06, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

My use of the "78 degrees for a couple hours" was intended to be generic, not related to these block heaters. I was trying to discourage taking credit for having ambient temperatures below 30C to up-rate the ampacities. I think the rule is not at all clear.

cainta

The 'power pack' that feeds the 22 GFCI outlets has 20A breakers. We need all 22 outlets because there is a potential of 22 vehicles that need block heaters. In the winter in Alaska if you leave a vehicle outdoors unplugged it probably won't start. The block heaters for the equipment we will be using on average is about 500W. Plus a 'bull rail' has a tapering effect where you would lose 4 circuits in the conduit every 10'.So, I think that it would be safe to use #12 in one 1-1/4" RMC. But, by code to use #12 I must have 4 runs of 3/4" RMC. If I want to use one conduit run by code I must use #8 and 2" conduit, #8 of course won't land on any terminals so an abundance of splicing must be implemented. Does this piss anyone else off? I think it is ridiculous.

engy

You are running 31 conductors to the first receptacle, and dropping conductors as you go down the row?
How big a box are these receptacles mounted in (at least at the beginning of the run)
Seems 3 or more runs would make life a lot easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.