Bundled conductors on the same circuit: Three separate wires reused as a subpanel feed

brycenesbitt

Ok, looking for thoughts on how to approach and understand this installation, including code issues.
The system has been operational for many years and there's no known complaint or disfunction.

-----------------------------------------
As far as I can tell the electrical system started life in the 1920's with knob and tube wiring to each of eight apartments.
There were probably four Edison base fuses per apartment and 2-4 circuits depending on the unit size.

But what I see today is the apartments each have a subpanel with a few 20 amp breakers.
The old knob & tube branch circuit wires now are bundled together as a subpanel feed.

To restate:
At the service entry point each unit meter is connected to a 30A 120V Square D breaker,
several individual 12 gauge knob & tube wires were ganged to feed a modern 120V apartment subpanel,
then 20A breakers feed each branch circuit.

The neutrals likely come back individually, that's yet to be verified.
1721785766724.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
At the service entry point each unit meter is connected to a 30A 120V Square D breaker,
several individual 12 gauge knob & tube wires were ganged to feed a modern 120V apartment subpanel
How many #12's? If it's two circuits you could put two single pole CB's in the panel below the meter.

brycenesbitt

How many #12's? If it's two circuits you could put two single pole CB's in the panel below the meter.
Could also put a 240V double pole breaker. But is there a specific problem that would solve or risk that would address?
Last thing I would want is a routine breaker trip to trip the main not the subpanel, as that's a callout to the apartment owner.

In terms of ampacity we have two to four parallel #12 wires with a wide separation, for a 30A circuit now.
I'm struggling to find exactly where that's covered in the NEC.

brycenesbitt

Parallel conductors must be #1/0 or larger so there is your code violation.
Is there a safety violation? This was a permitted job approved by the local AHJ, some decades ago: there's no code obligation to reverse the old AHJ decision.
Could you help me find the #1/0 parallel rule in the NEC for understanding.... but as well is there a safety
reason to be concerned about the use of parallel #12 ?

brycenesbitt

I'm guessing they never even looked at it. I can't think of any inspector who would approve the mess in the photo.
I work in an area where the majority of homes and multifamily dwellings are from the knob & tube era.
The pictured main upgrade is not considered a mess here. The old stuff frankly is bulletproof unlike the
crowd that thinks that because NM cable is on the shelf at home depot and their uncle took them on a job once,
they can do electrical now.