Buried PVC Conduit under a deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCES

What is the minimum cover required for PVC conduit carrying 120V under a wooden deck?
A portion of this conduit run is under a deck. Part of the deck is 5' above grade and part is 2' above grade.
NEC Article 100 definition for a building can be interpreted to get mean the deck is a building. Therefore Table 300.5 requires 0" of cover.
Where not under the deck I am going with 18" cover per T300.5.

:?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What is the minimum cover required for PVC conduit carrying 120V under a wooden deck?
A portion of this conduit run is under a deck. Part of the deck is 5' above grade and part is 2' above grade.
NEC Article 100 definition for a building can be interpreted to get mean the deck is a building. Therefore Table 300.5 requires 0" of cover.
Where not under the deck I am going with 18" cover per T300.5.

:?

How did you get a deck is a building from this; "Building. A structure that stands alone or that is cut off from adjoining structures by fire walls with all openings therein protected by approved fire doors." (2008 NEC article 100)

I would say anywhere it isn't it RMC or IMC... Also look in column 4

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you support the pvc then it can be run on or above the ground. However if you bury it you may be req. to go 18". Hopefully that would not happen.

McCES

Looking at 2011 handbook it attempts to clarify with "A building is generally considered to be a roofed or walled structure that may be used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy. However, it may also be a separate structure such as a pole, billboard sign, or water tower."
IMO a deck is more of a building than a pole or billboard sign.

McCES

I considered running the PVC along the bottom of the deck but the two levels make it difficult and add additional turns to the run.
I suppose I could fasten it to the deck posts just above the ground and run it that way but then it's visible.
Just seems since there is no access to the ground under the deck once the decking is installed, and it is permissible to run it on the ground with proper supports, it should not be an issue to bury it with 6" cover. Basically I'm trying to minimize my ditch digging work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
and it is permissible to run it on the ground with proper supports, it should not be an issue to bury it with 6" cover. Basically I'm trying to minimize my ditch digging work.
I agree but the inspector may have an issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.