Buried pvc jbx landscape lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark florida

I have been using pvc Jboxes for outdoor landscape lighting for about 10 years now, and in all of those years I have never had any contractor or AHJ question this. Until recently. I always watch my boxfill, make sure the box is mounted low enough to keep from getting hit by the mowers, and I use a reasonably good sealer to keep water out. Now, I am told that you cannot put a pvc box in the ground? I don't bury the box, I put it face up (for access), and just low enough that it won't get mowed. Would this not be classified as a nonmetallic wireway (ART. 378.10)?

iwire

Staff member
mark florida said:
Now, I am told that you cannot put a pvc box in the ground?

I don't believe a PVC splice box is listed for direct burial.

Would this not be classified as a nonmetallic wireway (ART. 378.10)?

Not unless it is listed as such 378.6. Even if it was in my opinion 378.10 does not give permission for direct burial.

It is much more likely to be a junction box covered in 314.

In my opinion your installation requires a hand hole like these...

valve-box.jpg

You can get these the size of a gallon paint can if you only need a small box. The sprinkler installers use these all the time.

Last edited:

Oakey

Ive been using spider splice kits for LV. It basically a 2" PVC with a bronze cap so you can find it again if need be. Its also designed for such a use at the lighting joint I buy them from. Dunno about 110v lights tho

spider.gif

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
iwire said:
You can get these the size of a gallon paint can if you only need a small box. The sprinkler installers use these all the time.
Get them from your supply house, not the big box. My supply houses carry them. The small ones Bob suggested we call flower pots and the lid says electric.

314.30(D)Covers

Handhole enclosure covers shall have an identifying mark or logo that prominently identifies the function of the enclosure, such as "electric."

stickboy1375

chris kennedy said:
Get them from your supply house, not the big box. My supply houses carry them. The small ones Bob suggested we call flower pots and the lid says electric.

314.30(D)Covers

Handhole enclosure covers shall have an identifying mark or logo that prominently identifies the function of the enclosure, such as "electric."

I've use the "Flower Pots" quite often, talk about easy to work with and inexpensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.