burned out bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

We are doing a new rec center right now and are having problems with the lights. We just turned all the lights on a few days ago and about 1/3 of the bulbs are already burned out and the ends are black. Checked the sockets and nothing seems to be loose. These are t5 54 watt bulbs. any ideas

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe others have had similar problems and they seem to be, if I recall correctly, factory issues. If voltages are correct and connections are tight, then it seems you got a bunch of bad ones. Maybe bad bulbs-- but I bet ballasts. Try a different brand on one and see what happens..

mdshunk

Bum batch of lamps? Wrong ballasts for those particular lamps? Having been down this road before, I think your best results will come from having your supply house send out the rep from Sylvania, GE, Phillips or where ever the lamps are from. The lamp rep has traditionally gotten to the bottom of the real problem, for me.

fireryan

The voltage is correct and all the lamps seem to be tight. But of course the gc thinks they have to be wired wrong. You guys know how that goes. Not sure why that real mean face is in this post

SEO

This is the kind of situation that nobody wants to be in. If the voltage is correct then I would have the lamp and fixture manufacturers rep come to site and witness the problem. Try a different manufacturers lamps in one of your fixtures see what happens. If they still burn out try a different ballast on one fixture.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Did a large distribution center where the customer supplied the lamps, completely changed out every lamp twice in six months, they went to a different manufacture, and they lasted out the warranty. They were T8 at 277 volt, Bear to change some of them as they were over conveyors were you couldn't even reach them with a boom lift. I think the original lamps were made in Korea, I've had compact flouresents from there that were short lived also.

MikeGee

Dennis Alwon said:
Would the bulbs or ballasts really last a few days in this case?

I seen cases where a maintence man put a 120volt ballast where 277volt was present and it blow up when he flipped the breaker on. Not like a lil bomb. It poped some tar started oozing out and it would not work at all.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
MikeGee said:
I seen cases where a maintence man put a 120volt ballast where 277volt was present and it blow up when he flipped the breaker on. Not like a lil bomb. It poped some tar started oozing out and it would not work at all.
No surprise there I guess the reason I asked was because someone thought that could be the problem. I doubted it but had no experience with that situation. Thanks

I have had 2 people I know go to Home Depot and buy 277 volt ballasts and tried to make them work in their homes. After long conversation with one of them, my brother, I asked him to check the ballast. He said--"Oops".

I was surprised that HD sold 277 volt ballasts.

BTW they just wouldn't work in those cases.

480sparky

MikeGee said:

I've also seen them last for days before anything happens.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
fireryan said:
Larry these are brand new fixtures.
I'd have a good talk with the distributor or his vendor. As long as you're using the correct tubes, this should be a warranty issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.