burying requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsharif

Hello,

I would really appreciate it if somone could help me please. Would anyone know what the requirements would be for burying a 58 khz antenna in cement...ie. not the technical considerations but more the legislative considerations related to safety etc. The application is for an anti-shoplifting system and the antenna would be buried at the front of a retail store for the purpose of detecting antishoplifting tags and labels from merchandise that has not been correctly processed at the point of sale. What I need to know is what CSA , UL, ULC or other requirements are there for this application? I understand that there are also FCC - Industry Canada implications as well but I am more concerned at the moment about what the National Electric Code or other requirements would apply. Thanks very much for your help!
Best regards,

Robert

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: burying requirements

Nothing in the NEC about this nor should there be since it doesn't present any safety issues. What make you think it does?

The manufacturer has to obtain any required UL listings and type acceptance from the FCC before the product can be sold.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Antennas are covered in Art 810, coax in Art 820. Both are not subject to the requirements in Chapters 1-7, section 90.3
for example I use Sch 40 water pipe for antenna masts, as I am going 20 ft long, and its stronger than electrical conduit, and this is OK by the NEC as there is no requirement in Art 810 for the type of mast.
However good engineering practices should be followed with respect to sealing connections and corrosion protection. Also much radio equipment is not UL listed, perhaps the security equipment youre installing is, so keep in mind section 110.3 (B).

iwire

Staff member

The ones I have done look like this.

FloorMax_1.jpg

We just follow the instructions and pour them in the floor with about 1.5" of concrete over them.

crash

It sounds as if you working on applications on both sides of the border. In the CEC section 54 does not apply to your application. So you are only left with the section 0 and section 2 requirements on quality of workmanship and safety.

Safety hazard? None.(good call hbiss)
Quality of workmanship? Follow the manufactures instructions and pour 37.6mm of concrete over top of it. (good call Bob)

As far as the FCC and Industry Canada implications go, I am curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.