Business shutdown protocol

AJones

Occupation
Maintenace Electrician
We are having our feeder wires disconnected at our service providers transformer for their maintenance. At this specific facility there is the main disconnect that goes to a gutter that feeds multiple panels and transformers. My plan was to shut down all the disconnects that are connected to existing equipment, then all breakers in use and then shut down each main breaker, then shutdown the panel board main then reverse the procedure when power is restored. Are there any other suggestions? I want to establish a companywide protocol.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We are having our feeder wires disconnected at our service providers transformer for their maintenance. At this specific facility there is the main disconnect that goes to a gutter that feeds multiple panels and transformers. My plan was to shut down all the disconnects that are connected to existing equipment, then all breakers in use and then shut down each main breaker, then shutdown the panel board main then reverse the procedure when power is restored. Are there any other suggestions? I want to establish a companywide protocol.
I don't see any reason to shut down anything other than the disconnect for that particular transformer

AJones

Occupation
Maintenace Electrician
I don't see any reason to shut down anything other than the disconnect for that particular transformer
I'm sorry I maybe didn't word that right. They are disconnecting the entire building at the pole transformer and the total facility will be without
power until their maintenance is complete.

AJones

Occupation
Maintenace Electrician
I know in dealing with more sensitive equipment they advise to power down at the source in other words at the breaker for each circuit
but beyond that no equipment, computers or any other items will be in use as this will be done after hours. We often would have power
failures and these of course happen without warning. I don't recall any equipment being damaged. I'm just trying to be pro-active.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What you suggested is the safest and best way in my opinion.
that way there is no load on the transformers when they pull the fuses, plus you omit the consequences of single phasing a piece of equipment.
the crew working on the bank SHOULD check voltage before they connect the wires, but some don‘t until after connection. Dont know why, lazy i guess…

when the power is restored you can check voltage yourself to verify they set the taps correctly, (if they are there).
Wouldn’t be a bad idea to check rotation also and verify its correct.
Yes, the POCO is supposed to do that, but why chance it on your shop.
at least be there to look over the shoulder of the guy taking rotation.

once all is well, then restore all power with the disconnects

AJones

Occupation
Maintenace Electrician
Thanks. I appreciate everyone's input. I have yet to identify a specific protocol but maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

macmikeman

If there is a fire alarm system in the building , you need to go thru the protocol of alerting the fire chief and possibly the nearest fire station, and you also have to have a fire watch setup during the downtime. At least that's how we here in Honoruru have to do it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If there is a fire alarm system in the building , you need to go thru the protocol of alerting the fire chief and possibly the nearest fire station, and you also have to have a fire watch setup during the downtime. At least that's how we here in Honoruru have to do it.
Especially if you have a fire pump, fire pumps are designed to fail “ON”, so when power is restored, the pump sometimes bumps on for a second, just long enough to trip the fire alarm system.